i upgraded my oil cooling & pvc / valve cover baffle setup - pretty amazing results

90lxfoxbody

Jan 11, 2006
well it's been a little over three weeks since i installed a new oil cooler and air / oil seperator. i also installed a mr. gasket fuel filter inline between the oil fill neck and throttle body. my objective was to eliminate blowby ( which my car had a problem with after it sat for more than a day or two ) and to keep my oil temp down of course. i have checked my oil several times since installing the oil cooler to make sure I didn't need to any more oil, since it takes a little time to 'burp' all the air of the cooler lines, passages, etc. a week after the install i noticed the oil still looked very clean. i thought, hmm not bad. the second week i checked the oil a few times and it still looked very clean. i checked it again today and it still looks clean. i have driven the car an average of 80 miles a day back and forth six days a week, plus twenty or so bumming around on my day off. so in the past three weeks i have racked up 1500 miles easily. normally by this point the oil would be much, much darker. and get this - when i installed the new oil cooler i changed from a fl1a filter to a fl300 for clearance reasons. so the oil looks 100% cleaner even with a shorter filter. i attribute most of this to the oil cooler and the increased oil capacity. i also have had zero blowby, even under hard acceleration. repeated hard acceleration even :)

so if you're one of those people like me who thought the whole air / oil seperator pcv thing was a good idea but wasn't sure if it is worth the investment - it is. so far it has worked like a charm for me. and an oil cooler is cheap insurance. i love it when a half a$$ mechanic like myself actually installs something that works great.

• Sponsors (?)

hey lee, need to figure out exactly what parts you bought from where.. so i can fix mine as well lol.. ma damn car does that as well.. hard acceleration and it has plenty of smoke to go around :) why dont ya post up a list and prices for us :SNSign: guys lol

i bought the oil cooler off ebay for $45 delivered, but that was on an auction so that price isn't set. it's a 12 row stacked plate design. the mr gasket fuel filter is about ten bucks at any parts store along with a new pcv valve for about three bucks i think, i got mine at advance auto. the air / oil seperator cost right at $12. you can buy those at any home depot or even a wal mart in the air compressor tools section. i used a campbell hausfield model, but there are several brand names out there. i also bought four small hose clamps and two plastic hose barbs from home depot for the seperator, and five feet or so of vacuum line from advance auto. i had plenty left over, i just wanted to make sure i had enough. i have been draining the catch can on the seperator every four or five days. at the most is had maybe about an inch of oil collected in it.