I want to go faster

Hi I have a 89 lx 5.0 hatch.. all stock from my understanding want to go fast on the cheap.. I live in chandler Arizona and am new to this forum stuff.. thinking of doing hci with a 150-200 shot but my cars an automatic will it hold up at least a little while? Car has 113,000 miles.. which hci do you recommend on the cheap!? Is the GT 40 setup good for 11s on a nitrous system? So many questions help ! Lol

Attachments

• CA831376-0B93-4862-A3F1-D9C0D718ECE5.jpeg
    CA831376-0B93-4862-A3F1-D9C0D718ECE5.jpeg
    421.2 KB · Views: 160
  • B1EC3842-E1C2-4F45-9EEF-345661DB7C56.jpeg
    B1EC3842-E1C2-4F45-9EEF-345661DB7C56.jpeg
    462.7 KB · Views: 174
  • 44EE3F54-D292-43C6-A19F-3DFEC282CF8A.jpeg
    44EE3F54-D292-43C6-A19F-3DFEC282CF8A.jpeg
    535.2 KB · Views: 171
  • 13740043-D2E3-410D-8D10-DA898ABDED2B.jpeg
    13740043-D2E3-410D-8D10-DA898ABDED2B.jpeg
    416.4 KB · Views: 170
Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I'LL WARN YOU NOW...

its addictive!!!
my plans when i bought my 88LX was to leave it fairly stock with its nice R12 AC system. i went down this road when my Gen 2 lightning.

well now ive dropped countless amounts of money trying to go deep into the 8s lol

Reactions: 4 users
That is a very nice Mustang! The gears, if they already haven't been done will be a great upgrade, as said before, and maybe throw a K&N filter in the airbox for cheap hp's for now. My car has that same interior, seems like that "yellow" had more of the sand color interiors.

Reactions: 1 user
Just think of all of the purists that just blew a left nut when they learn of your plan. Whoever had that car before you has managed to either keep, or restore the car to that level of factory perfectness. It seems a shame that you’d take such a perfect example ( from the pics), and doom it to dragstrip duty.

Everything that is under that car will need attention:
SF connectors; torque box reinforcement; a different converter; different gears; and a t loc if it has an open diff. Better control arms, or replacement bushings, and the requisite set of drag radials. Maybe even a set of better axles or C-clip eliminators..that’s just so the power will make it to the road, and we haven’t even opened the hood.
That’s If an 11 second quarter is the goal.
I’m sure there’ll be the “ Ive been 11.xxx on stock running gear” types that’ll come in and try to tell you that you can ignore the under pinnings, and just focus on the go fast sht....and maybe you can...

Maybe you’ll also be the guy that trashes his quarter when an almost 30 year old axle fails, all while entertaining the mob standing along the fence on any given Saturday night at the track.:pop:

I saw his post a few hours ago and thought I'll sit this one out for a while to see a few responses. Asks for 11's (which kinda feels unrealistic at this point), you guys suggest gears and a k&n filter, lol
If he asked for 10's would you guys have suggested headers too?

In all seriousness running 11's (at least safely without ruining the car) is much more involved than just going faster.

Oh don't get me wrong, I was just saying gears and a filter, (if that car is stock,) to get a little more fun out of it. I agree with Mike, why would you want to tear that car apart and make it into a drag car? I would replace all the bushings, wore out suspension, install some bolt ons that are reversible and just enjoy the car the way it is. Turning that car into a 10 or 11 second drag car is not what I would try to do with it

Last edited:
  • Agree
I also thought I would wait. What about the old motor with a big nitrous shot. Its a nice car just to have and keep . Unless you are very advanced as a mechanic , all that stuff is a constant set of repairs . Everything works together , and you have to be really good with diagnostics . Aftermarket stuff breaks, and you think it cant be bad because its new.

I was going to sit it out too because I would just do headers, mostly because the stock ones look like crap, the gears as suggested and the filter of course.
Oh, and about 20 grand for the rest if you really need to go fast.

Just think of all of the purists that just blew a left nut when they learn of your plan. Whoever had that car before you has managed to either keep, or restore the car to that level of factory perfectness. It seems a shame that you’d take such a perfect example ( from the pics), and doom it to dragstrip duty.

I wouldn’t call myself a purist by any means, but this is exactly what I thought when I first saw this car. Some of these Foxes should just be left alone!

• Agree
I wouldn’t call myself a purist by any means, but this is exactly what I thought when I first saw this car. Some of these Foxes should just be left alone!
Trust me when I say that I am the farthest thing from a purist here. But when I see somebody buy a nice car like that,..who doesn’t have a clue how to get where they think they want to go..The car is gonna take it in the shorts.
And as much as I say that they’re all the same, when you see an example like the one posted,..it’s definitely an example of something best left alone.

Trust me when I say that I am the farthest thing from a purist here. But when I see somebody buy a nice car like that,..who doesn’t have a clue how to get where they think they want to go..The car is gonna take it in the shorts.
And as much as I say that they’re all the same, when you see an example like the one posted,..it’s definitely an example of something best left alone.

I hadn’t even blown up the thumbnails yet and I was thinking.... you can not mess with this one!!
Mine on the other hand was so far molested before I bought it, it doesn’t matter what I do to it.

He said he wanted to go faster. The title doesn't say "I want to go 11's". This leads me to believe he wants the car to be quicker, and there is a secondary question in there about the possibilty of "11's". Why would the suggestion of gears make you "lol"?

I completely agree here. I'm no purist neither everything I own I've modified but this is a rare color combo and looks to be absolutely mint which living in the northeast is pretty hard to come by and would be terrible to see another ragged out on the cheap.

First thing which isn't going to add any power would be subframe connectors.. that body is probably rust free and straight. Keep it that way as much as possible

He said he wanted to go faster. The title doesn't say "I want to go 11's". This leads me to believe he wants the car to be quicker, and there is a secondary question in there about the possibilty of "11's". Why would the suggestion of gears make you "lol"?
I saw that too, but he did mention a 200 shot of nitrous, and he did infer that he had a goal of an 11 second et, adding that it was completely stock w/113k on the clock.

A set of gears at this point seem like an “ H” in the alphabet, Especially since he still needs to buy the letters A through G.

I take no issue with modding this car. It does look nice and the color combo is probably pretty rare.
With that said, rare and valuable aren't always one in the same.
IMO, tastefully modded with quality parts wouldn't be a big deal, just don't blow it up or do anything questionable.
Shooting for 11's on a minimum budget (especially nitrous) would likely be a catastrophic mistake.

He cant be that serious. He joined , and never came back . Good post though , and I really like that car . maybe he can post a few more pictures so the real Mustang lovers can dream.