I want to hook up in 1st...

bryan0

Jun 9, 2005
Bethel, CT
As of now, with 285/35/18 Toyo Proxie T1-S', I cannot get traction past 1/2 throttle in 1st gear. The car swings out at abouot 4500rpm in 2nd, or through 2nd if I shift hard.

What wheels/tires would I need to be able to get traction? I have 358hp/346tq at the wheels.

I was thinking buying 2 15" wheels and some slicks. What would be the best size for me without over-doing it?

• Sponsors (?)

Are those Toyo's drag radials? I'm not familiar with them.

Perhaps a set of nitto's for the rear would help out a little.. but inadequate traction in 1st on the street in our cars is pretty normal. My NA '04 easily loses traction in 1st at full throttle, and also through 2nd if I shift hard like you described.. and it's hard to overcome.. regular paved streets just aren't made for off the line traction. :shrug:

Intersting... So there's no fool-proof way to hook up on the street? I'm not concerned with the legality of the tires since I only plan on wearing them once in a while, like on the weekends sometimes.

And no, they're not DR's, they're just "ultra high performance summer tires"

billfisher said:
/\
||

there you go. that's why i an buying 15" rims and slicks for the strip. also smaller circumference = better gearing effect. i am looking for 70's 14x7 also, i may use 14" setup. gotta get it all.

running around on 15inch wheels may not look cool but you will leave the same car with the bling bling 18-20 wheels standing still.

some day when i am not poor :lol: I plan on going to 15 inch draglite 90's

Ok i know I am bring up an old thread... but this just shows i searched lol. with the 15" wheels what backspacing would I need and isn't our bolt pattern 4.75?

looking to order soon and just want to make sure i get the right sizes. for the front should i go with 5"???

If you want to hook, get some BFG TA/Drag Radials. You will hook.

They are really soft though. I wouldn't use them as a DD tire. Mount them on another set of rims and put them on when you want to have some fun or go to the track.

BFG%20315-35-17%20DR.jpg

Attachments

• BFG%20315-35-17%20DR.jpg
    BFG%20315-35-17%20DR.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 60
01Steeda said:
Ok i know I am bring up an old thread... but this just shows i searched lol. with the 15" wheels what backspacing would I need and isn't our bolt pattern 4.75?

looking to order soon and just want to make sure i get the right sizes. for the front should i go with 5"???

well you need 5 on 4.5 wheels not 4.75. the backspacing you want will depend on you wheel width as well.

for example I have 18x10 but they have about 6" of backspacing.

my .02 is pick a wheel width and tire size then post it in and have people help with the offset/backspacing number.

Rocketman said:
If you want to hook, get some BFG TA/Drag Radials. You will hook.

They are really soft though. I wouldn't use them as a DD tire. Mount them on another set of rims and put them on when you want to have some fun or go to the track.

BFG%20315-35-17%20DR.jpg

I hope to be in the 450 rwhp range so anything less than ET Street radials is a waste of time. I have had a set of the tires your talking about and for the power level i had @ the time they performed well.. but anything over that and they are as good as street tires.

Hognutz--- thanks for the info. i will be running a 10" wheel.. what size tire would best suit my 4.10's and the width of the rim?:shrug:

Attachments

• BFG%20315-35-17%20DR.jpg
    BFG%20315-35-17%20DR.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 57
BooWFO said:
Your going with a 10" wide rim. hmm 10.5w's.

Et streets are nice hook good on the street and fair at the track, but don't get caught in the rain. Cause you might as well be on slicks. Trust me I know.

I have run them in a 17 on the street in the rain... never had any issues, but then again these are track tires for the most part.. maybe the occasional run to the hang out in them. which is less that 3 miles from my house. I was just wondering about rim sizes.. and what would be the biggest tire I could get away with on those rims.