I will never buy trickflow again

Alright I have a 95 GT that I just built an engine for and stuck in it. To simplify matters I ordered the trickflow street heat top end kit from Summit (I now am disgusted with summit but thats a whole other rant). I got the twisted wedge heads, street heat intake, the 94-94 trickflow intake elbow between the throttle body and intake, trickflow cam/timing chain/hardened pushrod set, trickflow roller rockers, all gaskets, and the straw that broke the camel's back...the real nice trick flow cast aluminum valve covers...real nice that is except for the fact that they don't freakin' fit!!! Apparently nobody told trickflow, or summit racing for that matter, that when you use those trickflow valve covers on a 94-95, which all the ordering sources said they were stock height and would fit perfectly, the valve covers are actually too tall. Using ALL trickflow components the throttle body hits the valve cover because the valve cover sticks up about 3/8 of an inch too high. Besides Summit arguing with me and basically calling me a liar, trick flow has done the same thing. They obviously don't know what the crap they are talking about because I have built more engines and as a FoMoCo master tech I have R&R'ed more ford top ends than the dipsticks answering the techline...Bottom line is that if something doesn't fit by almost half an inch its pretty obvious the company screwed up. On top of that either one of the valve cover bolt holes is drilled too high or one of the holes in the head is off, I'm about to find out. Plus when I got the heads out of the box and checked them before installation, I noticed something...trickflow apparently gives you your dollars worth because they include all of the aluminum shavings and chunks from the machining process in the heads. I had to dissassemble the heads to get all of the aluminum pieces out before installation. I have pulled a lot of new heads out of boxes over the years and have never seen anything like this before. If anybody is considering buying trick flow these days, I seriously think their quality control is slipping.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

that sucks but I have heard allot of problems with TFS Intakes hitting. It seems they should include a spacer as part of their package, at least this solves most of the problems on FOX cars. I wish i could offer more other then just feeling your pain. If your were not in Kentucky I would offer to buy you a beer and some good car talk!

Good luck!
Allen

I believe the trickflow kit was made for foxbody's.

When I put my edelbrock performer rpm and Elbow on my car it hit too. I had to clearance the elbow and valvecover.

I believe if you get a spacer most of your problems will be solved.

As for chunks of aluminum in the heads, trickflow is not the first company that I have seen this before with. I ALWAYS disassemble and clean the heads, usually because I like to clean up the ports anyway.

I had to use a spacer to raise my upper to get the tall valvecovers to fit. It is really nothing new and happens for all tall valve covers. Shavings also are nothing new either. You should always clean out your new equipment before installing no matter what company. That sucks that their support sucks though.
Kevin

The valve cover flange on the TrickFlow heads (and most other head brands, IIRC) is raised. I think it was .300" ??? Not sure though...

You may be able to run the stock valve covers?

Sorry you had such a bad experience,
jason

That kit is really made to bolt on a 87-93, if you have a SN series car you need a spacer due to the ****ty TB elbow adapter. The kit works great, although I have never seen shaving in any of their heads yet...

Best thing would be convert over to a Fox Body style TB set-up and pick-up some power.

Remember Summit owns TFS :)

I have the same kit. I also have a SN95 car. The kit is made for the 87-93 so I was expecting modifications. I found out about the intake the hard way and hard to order a spacer as well. I also didn't have predrilled valve covers so I had to drill a hole for the oil filler kit, which was not included in my kit. I didn't know it was supposed to or else I would have called and complained. Instead I bought one from summit. Overall it is a good kit.

I know where you are coming from,i am using the track heat and put a 1" spacer between upper and lower intake ,and am using a tall valve cover, all kinds of complications, called trick flow and summit and they say it cannot be done , but if i buy T/F v/c 's they will work , i explained that i want tall v/c's and this should not be an issue. they told me good luck ,so , being that i have fabbed many cars in my life and dont take no very well , i told them all they had to do was make a 1" spacer between elbow and upper plenum and fix everything , that is what i am doing to correctmy problem, and the quality of all parts in recent years suck, its all about money , and not customer satisfaction .

I know where you are coming from,i am using the track heat and put a 1" spacer between upper and lower intake ,and am using a tall valve cover, all kinds of complications, called trick flow and summit and they say it cannot be done , but if i buy T/F v/c 's they will work , i explained that i want tall v/c's and this should not be an issue. they told me good luck ,so , being that i have fabbed many cars in my life and dont take no very well , i told them all they had to do was make a 1" spacer between elbow and upper plenum and fix everything , that is what i am doing to correctmy problem, and the quality of all parts in recent years suck, its all about money , and not customer satisfaction .
Five year old thread, man...

Summit Racing only wants your MONEY and has many many idiots working there with BIGTIME attitude problems. They blame the customer when they ship out the wrong component happened to me twice. They blame the customer when the bolt holes do not even line up cuz it costs them MONEY to issue the call tags to pick the junk up. May I suggest to everyone to place their order with JEGS (no affiliation), I have found them to be more understanding and caring with these situations and resolving them. All of these companies are flooding the market with Chinese auto parts and it is hitting the performance market for the last couple of years. It started with the local stores like Advance, Autozone, Pep Boys, and others. Now the performance companies are buying this stuff and selling it to us and pocketing the difference since the 9 year old boy in China doesn't charge much in labor. You must scrutinize every part you get now unlike in the past because major names are substituing them in their lines as well! Check every detail when receiving, before installing, and after installation. It has been consuming so much of my time for the last three (3) years! I am glad to hear that others are now seeing this phenomenon and are waking up to it. Do NOT buy from companies that are NOT understanding of this since they have literally CHOSEN to flood the market with CRAP ... charge premium prices and pocket the profits at your demise and aggravation! Also, tell the companies whom you choose to deal with that you do NOT want to do jobs 2 times because they substitute Chinese garbage or even products made in the USA which are inferior. Proform is selling gear drives for small block chevies for $89 ... willing to sacrifice a whole engine on an $89 gear drive. Summit Racing states that their customers want such stuff ... do YOU really? I doubt anyone does because the potential disaster, I cannot fathom customers actually taking other than the idiots. And meanwhile Pete Jackson Gear Drives remain in the $200 - $300 price range as always ... but what you get is quality and piece of mind. A bolt-on part on the exterior of the engine is one thing ... internal parts cannot and should not be compromised in such a terrible manner. So as a customer SPEAK UP and be heard and buy form companies who truly care about your business and are NOT arrogant ... you shall be so glad ya did!

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation but your problem is being multimplied by the arrogent vendor who sold it to you ... return it all and purchase it elsewhere would be my suggestion.

And finally BEWARE some of these companies like Summit Racing record conversations to be used against you in situations like these. When ordering, tell them what vehicle it is for and what you are looking for. If you specify part numbers ... they place all of the blame on you. And in most cases they give limited descriptions or leave out foot notes that manufacturers have supplied to them that should be in their catalogs or websites (but they choose to leave them out ... all because of MONEY). So if you give part numbers and there are interference issues, they say you specifically ordered that and should have known everything even though they didn't supply all of the information ... Summit Racing is known for this since it has happened to me on numerous occasions when they were at fault and the manufacturers told me that they were supplied with pertinent information but chose not to use it or give it to the customer. Maybe this works in a stifled economy like Russia but this ain't the way here in the good ole' USA!

I hope this insight helps some of you out because I am so tired of the GREED that now taints the automotive industry. It is guys/gals like us who made this performance industry because of our desire to modify our vehicles ... don't let the BAD apples destroy our love of this fabulous American hobby! Imagine ripping out your engine 3-4 times and rebuilding it ... wasting your time and much more money and causing much frustration and aggravation. Save a buck when ya can but do not purchase or purchase from a bunch of GREEDY NON-CARING JELLY SPREADING PENNY PINCHERS! Or otherwise sit on yyour garage floor and wonder which cheapie component broke or who didn't tell ya what you needed to know because a part was substituted or made in an inferior fashion! And by all means, if they have cost you money, take them to court (you can file in your area locally) and force them to hire a lawyer to fly to your location and defend the case. Possibly when they get the message and it hits them in their pocket, they will stop jerking the consumer around and trying to rip them off and display such arrogant attitudes!

I hope this helps many especially the ones who have not yet experienced it firsthand. Good Luck! Check everything and let your voice be heard LOUDLY!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTnVZpALOfthTaEu70cHNAceed7n1PM8KaWPYNmrNr9i9Jp8z8H5JpCx2Zhzg

Let me cover this once and for all:

To all current and future Mustang hot rodders. The second you take the factory parts off and start substituting aftermarket parts you may need to do fabrication. If you are unwilling or unable to do fabrication then hire a qualified mechanic to install your parts.

For me, half the fun of this is making everything fit and work the way I want it to. Although my car is what some consider a mild build, I take great pride in that I did ALL of the work except for a little welding, installing the rear end gears, and porting the heads.

Reactions: 3 users
Let me cover this once and for all:

To all current and future Mustang hot rodders. The second you take the factory parts off and start substituting aftermarket parts you may need to do fabrication. If you are unwilling or unable to do fabrication then hire a qualified mechanic to install your parts.

For me, half the fun of this is making everything fit and work the way I want it to. Although my car is what some consider a mild build, I take great pride in that I did ALL of the work except for a little welding, installing the rear end gears, and porting the heads.

Good post!

I always find it humorous that anyone with a craftsman tool set thinks they can mod their cars and then complain that nothing works as it used to. Like maryland stang said there is ALWAYS going to be some time spent fabbing or troubleshooting to make sure that everything works as it should. That is the price the weekend mechanic pays for not having a shop do all the work. Either pay the cash up front or put the time in yourself.

I don't buy that Maryland Stang. These manufacturers offer kits that are pre-engineered to fit and advertised to fit. Others as well as me do not like doing the fabrication on a project that the manufacturer has advertised they did. If it fits a 87-93 Mustang, it should fit period! I do realize that sometimes massaging is needed for parts etc. however what I am seeing lately doesn't even come close to massaging. When you buy your next set of wheels and they don't fit, cut them apart, re-weld them, put them back together, chrome them and then put them on your car ... because thats what some of these manufacturers are doing to the public! Doing jobs three times because techs lie, manufacturers lie, and no one really knows anything plus poor quality control issues should not be blamed on the installer. I've worked on cars for 35 years and have never seen in those years what I have seen and experienced in the last three years! I never did jobs over and over because of faulty parts put together at the manufacturer. And not every part or system is supposed to be un-assembled by the installer after purchasing it new. When I am told that modifications are necessary to install something, I choose to buy it or I do not. It seems as if every task now takes double the amount of time and the parts failure rate has tripled. That's why the auto stores are willing to give you a second part for FREE as is the case with most parts because they know they are selling junk to the consumer and making plenty of money. They do not care how much time, effort and money it takes to fix the problem ... but they will give you a new part and your supposed to be happy for this experience including performing all of the modifications that their engineering department left out ... or, were they outsourced and laid off!