Identify this Explorer GT40 Intake & Heads?

HaynStang

Dec 16, 2006
Portland
I was at the junkyard today and happened upon a '97 Explorer 5.0L. The intake manifold had a sticker on it stating that it was produced 06/97. Now, I've read Freaky's Official Explorer Intake Thread and it states that the intake you want for swapping onto a Mustang and still passing emissions was phased out around Feb. or March 1997. Is the intake is I found gauranteed not to have EGR provisions, or is there some chance it might still be the earlier style intake? It had the part numbers "HG354AB" and "632236 554" on the sticker.

Also, I quickly checked out the heads on the truck and noticed that the driver's side head had angled spark plugs, while the passenger side spark plugs came out almost straight at nearly a 90* angle. Are these P heads? (Wish I would have remembered to look for the 3 bars cast into the front of the heads).

• Sponsors (?)

If the plugs come straight out then they're GT40P, the P's have 4 bars and a "GTP" stamped by the first plug hole.

As for the intake I would unblolt the upper and see if it has an egr hole, also if it had a fox style egr valve then it should be the egr intake. Ford sometimes likes to mix and match parts so it could have a egr upper and a non egr lower intake.

Weird, the spark plugs on the driver's side are definitely angled like they are on E7 heads, but on the passenger side head they are not...

How will I be able to tell if the manifold has an EGR hole or not? Too bad the pics in Freaky's thread don't load anymore, I need to try and find pics of each style manifold so I can compare them to the one that's on the truck...

Someone else may have had the same idea, because someone started to unbolt the upper manifold (either that or they just needed the bolts)...

See the little hole in the middle of the intake, thats the egr passage, there should be one on the upper and lower. If its non egr then it will be blank. And those are GT40 heads btw.
0916071943.jpg

If it is from 96 its almost guarnteed to be Internal....but you should still pull the upper off and look as i just pulled a internal egr intake of a 97 mountainer that had a External egr tube coming from the manifold on it. we thought at fist it was a mid 97 (when we saw the tube) which is when they swapped over to external and GT-40P style.

even the 96 Explorers used the external EGR system in the 90 degrees elbow (mine from a 96 did) but for some reason, Ford had the EGR passages cast into the upper and lower intake even though they used the external EGR system. Much to our benefit.