Identifying 302 Block

Macktenn

Mar 21, 2020
Alberta
Hey, I bought a mustang a year back and the person who I bought it off of said he had no idea what year or make/model the engine came out of... wondering if I could get some help with that. The only numbers I can seem to find on the block are F1SE.... any help would be appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

F1SE would be the engineering part number used on 91-95 Mustangs.

however, it was also used in other 302 fords from 91+.

there should be a date casting code cast into the block in the same area, along with a partial vin in the rear China wall area.

are the Pistons in the block? If not, then don’t sweat what it came from. It’s the same block used in 91-95 mustangs

F1SE would be the engineering part number used on 91-95 Mustangs.

however, it was also used in other 302 fords from 91+.

there should be a date casting code cast into the block in the same area, along with a partial vin in the rear China wall area.

are the Pistons in the block? If not, then don’t sweat what it came from. It’s the same block used in 91-95 mustangs
I’ll look for more when I get home, it is a fully assembled long block at the moment, intake manifold is from an 83 mustang to convert it to carbureted. Did the different models have different internals in them or something? I’m looking at doing a cam and some heads, not sure if it being from a truck, or explorer or mustang would effect it since it’s the same base

Pistons and cam are different. The mustang will have vskve reliefs. Other 302 vehicles have flat tops.

heads will differ as well. Some will have E7 heads and some will have E6

As has already been posted, F1SE block is 1991+ vintage. If the shortblock is factory it could be H.O. or S.O. By 1991 there were four vehicles that used that H.O. 5.0L engine: Mustang (1991-1995), Cougar (1991-1993), Thunderbird (1991-1993), Mark VII (1991-1992). All the rest of the vehicles that used that block were S.O. If the block has a partial VIN, and it's not been touched internally, you'll know whether it's H.O. or S.O.

As has already been posted, F1SE block is 1991+ vintage. If the shortblock is factory it could be H.O. or S.O. By 1991 there were four vehicles that used that H.O. 5.0L engine: Mustang (1991-1995), Cougar (1991-1993), Thunderbird (1991-1993), Mark VII (1991-1992). All the rest of the vehicles that used that block were S.O. If the block has a partial VIN, and it's not been touched internally, you'll know whether it's H.O. or S.O.
Okay I’ll take a look, where on the block would I find the partial vin?

Okay I’ll take a look, where on the block would I find the partial vin?

at least on the mustang, it’s here

739E889F-04F6-4A8E-99BA-D45DB603508E.jpeg

also, right near the block part number, will be what looks like a tag screwed into the block. It’s the date code tag that was screwed into the original mold. You can tell year/month/day with this 4 digit number

50983AC2-4FE7-4610-8D6F-5AD267CFB7D4.jpeg