Idle Air Control swap hope it works

Danielsstang

Aug 19, 2011
I have been reading many threads regarding “Rough Idleling” on start up. I have the same problem on my 2000 V6. I took some of the advice from some of the members regarding the “Idle Air Control (I.A.C.) Valve”. I changed it this evening. I tried to attached some pictures of the Old and New part but no dice. I guess the files are too large. I will try to figuer it out on how to post the pics. You can see all the crud build up in the old part. Anyway I went with the Motorcraft brand. I started her up after the install and the car appeared to Idle a lot smoother. The true test will come tomorrow morning on a cold start, that’s when the Idle is the roughest. I will post tomorrow with the results. Rather than dumping a bunch of money in parts till I figure out the issue I elected to start with the I.A.C. I purchased a Motorcraft PCV however I will not change it until I see the full result of the I.A.C. swap. I also purchased a new gasket for the EGR, I will be cleaning the EGR in the near future. I recently changed the plugs and wires and there are no codes according to the OBDII reader. So hopefully the IAC swap does the trick. We will see

• Sponsors (?)

Ok NEGATIVE results the problem continues. I will try all the other fixes recomended. The new IAC din NOT do the job. So I pushed on the PCV...NO Dice. So back to the drawing board. Here are those pics though finally figuered it out

IACNewandOld.jpg

IACOld.jpg

Attachments

• IACNewandOld.jpg
    IACNewandOld.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 90
  • IACOld.jpg
    IACOld.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 91
Ok next step clean the EGR. Look at the crud i found inside. The neck was even worst. I scraped off 1/4 inch flakes of burned particles. Here are some pictures. I disconected the Battery to allow the PCM to reset and relearn the new parts and clean ones. I will keep you guys posted

EGRNeck.jpg

EGR.jpg

Attachments

• EGRNeck.jpg
    EGRNeck.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 98
  • EGR.jpg
    EGR.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 109
EGR problems are likely to cause a rough idle on start up without causes other EGR related driveability issues.

Good work on the PCV valve. What about the other vacuum lines? Especially the EVAP vapor lines. PVC lines, PVC grommet, PVC breather line.

Is the secondary air injection system working?

Clean the MAF. Use only a product designed for the job.

Finally, did you follow the factory routing for the spark plug wires? Use all standoffs and looms? Are the wires touching any metal parts?

More information on IAC Idle issues:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...-dieing-idle-idling-rough-14.html#post2260649

When was the last time you changed the Mass Air Flow meter? If the computer on the Maff is screwed up it will give a rough idle, even to the point of dying. Reset the computer on the maff.

Here is an update. The car feels smoother, still a bit shakie on morning start ups. I will try to figuer out how to post a video so I can record what it is doing in the mornings. It might just be a normal thing. History on this car is my brother bought it new in 2000. It has 165,000 mile on it. He gave it to my daughter a few months ago to use for college, however my daughter can't drive a 5 speed so I gave my daughter my Nissan and now I'm working with the pony. My goal is fix it so its good enough or should I say reliable anough for my daughter to drive it while in college. The Mustang had been sitting in my brothers drive way for 2 years prior to me taking ownership.

I will try to get a full maitenance history on the car to see what by brother did to the car. I doubt the Mass Air Sensor was changed. However I did clean it out with the prober spray. This rough idle was happening since I got the car from my brother. Its been getting better however I don't really know what is a normal sounding V6 Mustang so any little sound raises my alert. Like I said let me try to video the RPM's on start up. Maybe you guys will tell me that everything is normal and that I'm just being jumpy