Idling Funny?? like 2000

meze1111

Sep 28, 2004
I just recently got a 5.0 w/ no motor and built one and put it in its a 93 5.0 i put a new clutch in and a t-5. When the clutch is in the car idles at like 600 ish
but as soon as i let out the clutch the rpm's jump up to 2000 and the CEL comes on. Im not sure what this is but I know i dont have my VSS hooked up right now. Im wondering what else it could be. I havnt had a chance to get a code checked but i was wondering if anyone had this problem and might be able to help me w/ this.

thanks alot

• Sponsors (?)

It could be the VSS, though folks have run w/o them and dont have issues. That is the direction I would lean though.

Getting the codes will be the first thing to do. A paperclip should do it.

Good luck.

Good luck.

That whole part about being a forced induction vehicle is good to know :)

More info on the combo might help (I said might). Like how much boost are you running. If it is a lot, what are you doing with crankcase ventillation, etc.

Good luck.

Well the car i just put a new clutch in and ive got the supercharger hooked up. Ive driven the car .. very little just to move it a few miles. Never tried giving it any gas just drove normal. I plan on taking the car to have it dyno tuned as soon as its painted. I know i dont have a VSS sensor yet. I went to auto zone to see if they can do a CEL check but they cant do it because its to old. I was wondering if anyone on here might know what i can do about that. I havnt tried tuning the car myself im not that familiar with it yet. Im really just wondering why the car might start and idle just fine w/ the clutch in and when i let out the clutch the CEL comes on and the idle jumpes from 600 to 2000 and stays. After i get past that point i just plan on getting it dyno tuned but i'd like to fix that first so that it doesnt interfear with the dyno tune.

I hear you all the way on fixing this and having it running halfway decently for the tune.
Here is a post by Jrichker about pulling the codes yourself. That might help with figuring out the issue. I Know a few others have had similar symptoms at times, but I am not sure I ever heard a definitive solution.

Sorry to not have more info. Maybe codes will help. Good luck bud.

Thats good to know there i'll try that as soon as i can get ahold of a voltmeter. I will also try puttin in the VSS. I built the motor from scratch so it needs some tuning. I have a 70mm TB and Trackheat upper lower bigger inj and pump It has the msd 6BTM and FMU. So im sure there's things i need to do. I know how to put it together lol........ but tuning is another story.