if you love something set it free... my fox body returned to me.

hello.

i recently obtained a fox body i owned 20 years ago under pretty unlikely circumstances. its a 93 gt.

the car is ugly and rough and i have no intention of changing that. id like to make the "delivery car" for my business, set up for track days on road courses. it runs well and id like to make it handle better. more specifically, id like to reduce the understeer.

this seems to be the least road course set up mustang ever made. is there some sort of "handling bible" type of writeups i should be looking for for the fox body?

thank you

• Sponsors (?)

this is a great start, thank you. and thanks for all the warm welcomes. you guys are quick!

there seems to be more guys autcrossing mustangs than taking them to the track. maybe theres more tracks around me than other people.

my intention is to make a "delivery car" for my shop. i may not do a ton of deliveries in it, but it may work as a marketing attempt and allow me to write some of it off. really i want to make a track car out of it, specifically a sub 2 minute car at buttonwillow, while keeping the engine as is and see how long it will live. i have no idea if thats attainable but it will be fun to figure it out. it seems to have basic hci mods and a giant radiator and that is perfect for now.

in the early 2000s the fox body had to be the bang for buck king. i ended up in mine because my dad sold it to me. i was heavily into the 80-90s japanese cars. theyre also great, and i bought 4 240sxs for a combined 3500 dollars, but they have since become completely absurd to buy.

the fox body seems to have been usurped by the sn95 as the car kids and budget minded people should be buying. people seem to be figuring it out though. if fox bodies or sn95s were japanese theyd be going for a bajillion dollars. this is a great platform and im happy to have stumbled into it twice.

If you have OEM sway bars on the car, you can add a larger rear sway bar (25mm for a V8) to reduce understeer. You can also increase/decrease understeer/oversteer with adjustable shocks & struts. You'll want to address all of the "factory-installed" flaws inherent in Fox and SN95 Mustangs (understeer; throttle-induced oversteer; chassis flex). You don't have to spend a fortune to make the car much more capable than stock. My focus is on autocross, but my YT videos provide lots of tips for making these cars handle better. I've also been able to give several people a balanced handling "recipe" based on their build budget. If you have a budget in mind, I'd be happy to suggest mods.

What's your budget?

You can do some barebones stuff, or you can go pretty wild. Unfortunately parts for Fox bodies have gone up a lot since 2000. Depending on how crazy you get, you can easily toss another $10K in suspension and brakes alone at these cars. There are more budget friendly approaches, but even your basic Cobra swap is getting up there when folks want $400-500 for the 94-95 spindles alone.

These guys have some good suspension parts to pick from. There's also other vendors and you can certainly simplify with a good set of coil-springs and shocks/struts. Problem is scope creep. Once you identify one area to improve, it starts to snowball.

SN95's are the latest trend because they are still somewhat cheap given the Foxbody's rise in pricing in the last 5 years or so. Clean Foxbodies are expensive, and sellers see this and think their 300K mile fox that is one wheel in the junkyard is worth $8K. So many SN95's are being used as "throwaway" cars right now due to how cheap you can get one.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Put some decent shocks/struts, lowering springs (I love my FMS B-springs on the street), & tires on it. Then, go out and have fun. If you aren't trying to be a hero or class winner every time you go out, you will have 100% of the fun that you would have with $10k in suspension mods.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
hello.

i recently obtained a fox body i owned 20 years ago under pretty unlikely circumstances. its a 93 gt.

the car is ugly and rough and i have no intention of changing that. id like to make the "delivery car" for my business, set up for track days on road courses. it runs well and id like to make it handle better. more specifically, id like to reduce the understeer.

this seems to be the least road course set up mustang ever made. is there some sort of "handling bible" type of writeups i should be looking for for the fox body?

thank you
I personally use and prefer Maximum Motorsports for the suspension parts, and if you're looking for a good "handling bible" I'd start at the link below. They have tons of good information on their site.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
i appreciate all of the feedback. im gonna start by hitting a track day and assess how the car handles. i will get a set of tires before then and i am debating whether or not i should put them on the 17 inch cobra replicas that are on the car or if i should look for a better 16 inch wheel. in my experience replicas havent been very good and i dont see any reason to go 17 over 16 inch wheels.

speaking of wheels and tires, the car already understeers and i dont see any reason to get a wider tire in the rear but i am open to suggestions. do any of you know the max width for your front tire on a stock car? i will look around a bit.

Welcome to the forum !

That 93 GT will bring g you lots of fun. I always run modest front tire sizes but I don't track my car.