Ifs Kit, Or Upgrade Original In 408 Swap?

fast3006

Jan 29, 2018
Hello, this is my first post to this site. I'm wondering what the pros and cons may be for IFS, vs upgraded original suspension. The application is for a street/strip 408 stroker in a 65. The car is all over the road as it is now. Its always been that way I just delt with it. But now that a 400+ h.p motor is in the mix I'd like to do something about it now before I install the engine. Its manual steering and I plan to keep it that way regardless. But I also am considering shaving or at least notching the shock towers, combined with the desired front disc brakes it makes the IFS kit much more attractive, although I'm reluctant the cut up the 64 1/2 to weld in some IFS kit seems like a big headache I would avoid if I felt I could get similar results without it.

• Sponsors (?)

If you have manual stock steering and it's sloppy than you have warn parts. If everything is correct it should be tight. I would upgrade the stock front suspension to power disc brakes and leave the rest stock. It is IFS from the factory. Maybe a bigger sway bar if you don't like the way the stock one feels. I'd add a pannard bar to the rear though. Stock rear can be a bit sloppy with radials,

The stock suspension is already independent, but it has lots of design flaws if you want better handling performance.

Take some time to do some research and establish what your goals and budget are first. There are lots of bolt on kits that will yield a noticeable improvement in handling and braking. Although this is my "first" post with this username, I used to post here routinely 12 to 15 years ago and I've been modifying Mustangs since the 80s. I also autocrossed my 69 Mach 1 up until 2015 and hope to resume soon.