Electrical Ignition switch problems

Okayyy so my ignition switch in my foxbody 91 disassembled like it seperated from the metal part so i tried to put it back together while car was connected to battery while i was doing that in a moment i heard a pop and white smoke came from under the hood driver side.

Inside the car nothing smelled burnt only outside well at the end i ended up buying a new switch changed it and nothing will turn on seems like only thing that still gets power is the headlights
I hotwire the ignition switch and now everything turns on even without moving key so what could be the problem many say fusible link but i cant find it

Also when i hotwire the ignition switch and i have a push button so it can turn over and that way its turn the car on but after i remove the hotwire it turns off what could be the damaged thing if its the fusible wire could someone show a photo of where its located i dont have the money right now to take it with technician

• Sponsors (?)

The ignition switch is a known issue on these cars and a fire-hazard. There was a recall on that switch because it literally would cause fires. The failure method was that the switches would separate like you've seen.

I highly recommend throwing the switch in the trash and buying a new one.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
The ignition switch is a known issue on these cars and a fire-hazard. There was a recall on that switch because it literally would cause fires. The failure method was that the switches would separate like you've seen.

I highly recommend throwing the switch in the trash and buying a new one.
I did buy a new one but had to use the old metal piece because the other piece was completely different tho it does work because when i hotwire to turn it on everything turns on and when i move the key its seems that it does send a signal

You got the wrong switch then. The Motorcraft one is still available as of last week because I got my brother one. They look identical. Be very careful not to keep plugging in incorrect parts or touching wires together from parts that fell apart that are still powered. As said above, disconnect negative battery terminal. Also remove all that hot wired stuff before it burns completely down.
That switch has several contacts for numerous items. As you turn the key it slides different contacts into place. Feel free to post some pics so we can help better. And I would leave the battery disconnected until this gets resolved.

Reactions: 1 users