Ignition timing problem

BlazeAtwood10

Feb 22, 2021
I have a 94 mustang gt and I've been having issues with poor performance, poor fuel economy, my car was backfiring quite a bit, hard start.

We re-timed the engine and It ran beautifully in 10 minutes we drove it up and down the street, so we parked it for the night, I start it this morning and boom disgusting idle it will hold idle at ~1200 then drop to ~700 and it will cycle that every 2 seconds or so, backfiring way more than what it was to begin with, and a faint clattering.

I'm suspecting timing chain is loose. id love hear some suggestions on what all it could be and how I should approach this

• Sponsors (?)

does it keep running or does it surge a couple of times and then not recover eventually when it dips?
general karthief will point you in the right direction, and i dont want to fill the thread with random guesses for you but i had similar recently and it turns out my fuel pressure regulator was letting fuel into the vacuum lines. easy enough to check so you can eliminate that from the list of things you will likely be checking.

Reactions: 1 users