I'm a moron and cracked my block. Is this fixable?

fox83tbird

Jun 22, 2020
jax, fl
I'm furious with myself. I went to remove a screw in expansion plug. It was stuck, I eventually decided to drill it out and extract the rest.............needless to say I over did it and cracked the block.

So simple question: Did I ruin this block or is this fixable.

I'm so blacked out about this lol

Attachments

• 20200622_085637 (1).jpg
    20200622_085637 (1).jpg
    560.4 KB · Views: 153
  • Sponsors (?)

It is fixable if you can find a welder that knows how to braze or weld cast iron. It may crack again in the same spot later on though.

Yeah, that's an easy fix for a competent welder. Hell if it were mine, I'd just mig it. You'll probably have to go back and drill the hole bigger, re tap it, and put a bigger bolt in it, because it won't be round afterwards. Or weld the hole back up, and redrill and tap for the original bolt size.

I've done stupid crap like that before. Don't get too bent out of shape, it happens.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user
Good for you for trying these repairs, I've often wondered why I even bother some days "how badly did I screw up!".

Mobile welding guys can come fix that, I have no doubt, but like others said bring those pictures to a machine shop and they will direct the welder how to fix it.

Fear not, you'll be back on the road soon, a little bit wiser and able to tackle larger things. :)

Learning sucks sometimes ,....