I'm becoming quite the mechanic! READ THIS IF YOUR AFRAID TO DO ANY WORK YOURSELF!

Miklowcic

Apr 24, 2001
Hillsborough, NJ
FOR THE AUTOMOTIVELY CHALLENGED (like me) :nonono: If you know how to work on cars dont read this hehehe

:rlaugh: its not hard to do the following..and its fun to actually do something on your car yourself.

In the past few months I am proud to have done the following repairs:

(Now this is a big deal for me , because I'm usual the person that screws everything up no matter how simple...Snap bolts over tightening them :bang: ... stripped trans putting in a shifter etc etc)

1. Changing the belt (had to cause mine was in pieces all over the track!)
i got a diagram from the internet cause there isnt one in my manual to figure out how it went on..

2. Changing idler pulleys...got torque specs from dealer..although snugging them is fine i imagine.. (one of mine snapped at the track so I changed them all. CHECK YOUR STOCK IDLER PULLEYS! I raced with them every weekend for two seasons and never checked them until one snapped causing some other damage under the hood)

3. Changing the hood insulator (definetely easy) (wish someone made an aftermarket one that looked cool and came with the hood vent cut outs)

4. Changing the clear plastic on the speedo. Thanks to stangnet directions. (except our cars have a air hose going to the boost guage that keeps the pod from coming out. You have to disconnect it from behind the glove box or carefully change the plastic with the pod in)

5. mounting a raptor shift light....i had someone else hook it up to the comp though..

6. Changing and regapping spark plugs...

The plugs were easy. Basically everything is if you have the right tools and you take your time. For the plugs, you have to get a special socket and a long extension to get to them in my car. The special socket actually has rubber in it that holds the plug so you can get it out.. Gapping is easy too.. You need a gapping tool from any car store. Anti seize is probably a good idea too.

I have always been unsure about how to get the air intake off from the throttle body. I also have a strut tower bar that makes it seem harder. Basically...you have to man handle it. Bend it after disconnecting the connections on it. Its rubber and it bends!!! heheheh you dont need to take your air box off either..

7. Changing shifters. stangnet directions i think.. Just dont over tighten the shifter bolts...doh

guess I might as well stop being lazy and change my own oil too...

Its amazing how much money you save doing basic things. The pulleys would have been at least $160 if I brought it to the dealer. I did it for $80 parts cost only.

PLugs would have cost me $60 or more from STS or another shop. just to regap them...already had the plugs

The shifter would be a nice little chunk $$$ of labor time. well....they'll probably get you for an hour....

NEXT COMES BRAKES...... might get some supervison on this one :D

• Sponsors (?)

I enjoy seeing people start working on their cars. I started almost 40+ years ago now. I've pretty much done it all. Start with the easy things and slowly work up as your confidence level goes up. Get a good manual.

However, with brakes, I make one suggestion. Do only one wheel at a time!! Keep the other one untouched so you can look at it if you think you are unsure. Disc brakes usually don't get much simpler. The only thing you have to do is push the caliper pistons back in and that takes a $5 tool.

So, happy hot-rodding and you'll get LOTS of help from the guys on this forum - some really know their stuff.

Keeping up with the electronics is a bit of a challenge but not impossible - I bought a $350 OBDII scan tool as it's good for everything 1996 and up.

Good luck!!

With a little patience and research, you can do anything. I've done every single thing on my car (only stock piece left is front k-member and rear axle housing) except the rear gears. That ate at me for a while. Then I did the 4.30's in my wifes car to include all bearings in the rear, and that made me feel better about the one thing I paid someone to do on my car.