I'm determined to get a Vortech aftercooler in my '95.

chaskat302

Apr 30, 2006
I know it won't be easy, but I am in no rush. I have heard all the reasons why it is a bad idea, so I am not jumping into this blind. I have already done the Fox throttle body conversion. I also have a Cobra R hood for clearance, a new 86 - 93 Power cooler kit from Vortech and my old supercharger set-up for the '95. I have read about all the problems people have encountered, but that just makes it more of a challange.

If I understand the problem correctly after I change to all Fox front end accessories, the final issue is clearance with the radiator/Fan shroud. I have already removed the A/C , smog pump and switched to a manual rack, so there is a lot of empty space to work with.

If I can move my radiator forward a few inches and relocate the overflow bottle, will I have enough room to make the Fox conversion work?

Does anyone have any first hand experience in attempting this conversion or in moving their radiator forward?

Any information will be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

YEAHLOH95 said:
why go to all that work when you can just modify the aftercooler to work with the 95 mounting parts thats what i am going to do, i am in the process now ....
Tell me more. I know I would need to re-clock my current supercharger for alignment. I assume you still need to do the fox throttle body conversion. What intake manifold will you be using? Anything else?

94gts said:
can you run some custom piping and run a front mount?
There is plenty of room up front for an intercooler, but the piping would be a nightmare to get back and forth from the supercharger.

My tubular K member will allow me to move my engine back some, but I think I will still need to move the radiator forward. The engine bay is empty, fenders & bumper are off and the engine is half assembled. If I am ever going to do this, now is the time.

I tried years ago to modify the aftercooler to fit. Even switching to fox body front accessories it won't work. Fox accessories move everything too far forward. If you then set it back to make up for this then the aftercooler will still hit the strut tower. My motor has been set-back a little over and inch. You can use a straight discharge vortech and run a front mount intercooler but, you will have to do away with the power steering and A/C.

S351R"Animal" said:
I tried years ago to modify the aftercooler to fit. Even switching to fox body front accessories it won't work. Fox accessories move everything too far forward. If you then set it back to make up for this then the aftercooler will still hit the strut tower. My motor has been set-back a little over and inch. You can use a straight discharge vortech and run a front mount intercooler but, you will have to do away with the power steering and A/C.
My power steering and A/C are gone so that won't be a problem. Does the straight discharge vortech mount on the driver side?

i am going to run a fox throttle set up with a custom aftercooler (air to water) the fox one will not work and would be a waste of money to buy, unless you get a smoken deal then cut it apart for the core.

Methanol

I used to feel the same way and thought the intercooler is the best way, but after reading up on Methanol injection I have decided there are way more benefits with it. In fact I just placed an order for the Snow kit in the group purchase on the Corral. Of course, the ultimate solution would be to do both!

BlueOvalStangGT said:
Why not just use methanol?

Way to expensive for the power gain imop.
Alky inj
Lil fiddy shot
Those have better cooling effects, at 1/2 the price.

But I guess the "cool" factor wouldnt be there