Engine I'm gonna fix this thing if it kills me!

Ok this morning pulled codes... 998 failure mode & 158 MAF voltage while it was running.... car started right up.. but TIF heat sink was so hot couldn’t touch it... then it started to idle low and surge...cleared codes, replaced MAF with my new spare ,car started and idled fine, heat sink cooled down to where was barely warm... drove it 10 miles with no issues and no codes when back. This would be the 4th MAF since all of this started. Put the old MAF back on and car would barely idle and my code reader wouldn’t start any test or read codes. Put the new one back on started right up, code reader started working and no codes.
I think next step is to pull the harness from the MAF to the connector and check continuity again and look again for shorts/runs/pinch points that may be frying the MAF???

• Sponsors (?)

And again last night... sputtered and died... sat for hour and started and made it home... I swear it only does it on the hottest days... it was 98 yesterday.... cooled down in evening and fired right up..... this thing is going cause me lose my mind

Check your ECT sensor. My car has this issue.

That fixed it for a bit.. Engine Coolant Temp sensor.. screws into the black tube near your lower intake.. looks like a brass bullet with a plug on back.. they fail often.. they go out of range and tell the car to give it more fuel, or whatever, and sometimes it just won't fire up.. until it cools down..

Well, I fixed it permanently, I traded it this past weekend. It had ran a few weeks with no issues, then on a 95 degree day, it cut off again on my son in the middle of city traffic and wouldn't start back. Of course after sitting for a couple of hours and cooling down it started right up and made the hour drive home. My son had finally had enough of it being unreliable. We traded even for a 2001 convertible GT, 5 speed.
Not sure what the root cause was, still love my 5.0 Mustangs, but this was one I was glad to see go....

I made the guy well aware of its history, I don't screw other over with a problem car without being transparent. He actually was the one that offered the trade and I drove mine 1.5 hours to his house to make the trade, it ran perfect, but... it was 78-80 degrees, not 95-100 and that's when it has its issues.... I think he wants a project 5.0..... and brother... you got one....
This is the 95... and the 01 we traded for....
IMG_2938.jpg
IMG_2965.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
I made the guy well aware of its history, I don't screw other over with a problem car without being transparent. He actually was the one that offered the trade and I drove mine 1.5 hours to his house to make the trade, it ran perfect, but... it was 78-80 degrees, not 95-100 and that's when it has its issues.... I think he wants a project 5.0..... and brother... you got one....
This is the 95... and the 01 we traded for....
IMG_2938.jpg
IMG_2965.jpg
you got the green , orange or both. green is really nlce. like that color.

That has recently happened to me. It turned out that my case, it wouldn’t have been covered by any of the multi-page check list.

electrical problems more often than not are a bad ground. In my case, the ground wire from the loom next to the coil.

I left the key on accessory, and wiggled the wiring loom. It was my accessory ground wiring that was failing. When I jiggled the wires, my fuel pump turned on again like it does when you turn the key.
I replaced the ground switch and It solves my issue.
Good luck.