imputs on combo 331 with power adder

93cobra12

Nov 21, 2003
Seatte, WA
Just cracked my crank in half and cracked my block.

got a custom 331 on the way, sportsman block, main girdle, all forged eternals, set with SRS light wieght pistons for a 9.1 compression.. Have an s trim supercharger to bolt on with my 185 AFR heads, looking for a good custom grind blower cam, ( on the hunt still ) with 42 lb injectors 255 lb in the tank and whatever else vortech supplies you with.. TFS track heat intake and a bunch of other stuff...

Who else has a similar combo as this? any imputs on what else i should do an what not to do? Does this combo sound strong? any other things you guys think i should get pls let me know, thanks !

• Sponsors (?)

93cobra12 said:
Just cracked my crank in half and cracked my block.

got a custom 331 on the way, sportsman block, main girdle, all forged eternals, set with SRS light wieght pistons for a 9.1 compression.. Have an s trim supercharger to bolt on with my 185 AFR heads, looking for a good custom grind blower cam, ( on the hunt still ) with 42 lb injectors 255 lb in the tank and whatever else vortech supplies you with.. TFS track heat intake and a bunch of other stuff...

Who else has a similar combo as this? any imputs on what else i should do an what not to do? Does this combo sound strong? any other things you guys think i should get pls let me know, thanks !

I would have went with a dished piston for the blower application, but with 9:1 you'll be fine anyway. For custom blower cam I would call FTI, I've heard nothing but good things. You'll probably be fine with the fuel system as long as you don't plan on going over 500 at the wheels...

BTW where did you buy the engine? how much?
Reason why I'm asking about the price is because Keith Craft racing (Tony) told me the R block is only $600.00 more than the sportsman and that the sportsman really wasn't all that much stronger than the stocker (+100->150 hp. cap.)

What helped sell you on the sportsman?

I'm in this situation where I want a good foundation but I don't want to blow 6 k for a R based billet stroker and run out of money when it's time for the Turbo, fuel system and tuning requirements. Which I'm sure is another 6 k

Then again I know that I probably won't be happy until the car is turning high 130's mph. in the 1/4 relyably so hence the precieved necessity for the R302...

Combo should be very strong, we have a very similar 331 in our 93 Cobra, 9.5:1, cast GT-40's ported, extrude honed Cobra man, 75mm TB, 83mm Pro-M, 36# inj, MAC high flow cats, MAC cat back, FMS shorties, stock 1.7 rockers, 2031 cam (very mild), A-trim 9psi, PMS unit made 425/465 to the wheels @ 5800rpm, carried over 300RWTQ from 3000rpm.

This winter it will get some needed upgrades, AFR 185's, FTI cam, YS-Trim, 55# inj, etc....

the reason i went for a sporstman block is because I wasnt about to spend 1600 bucks on a block alone, the sportsman block costs 900 bucks with a girdle, that engine will be strong.. Im having a builder out here who builds motors for chp and ford racing, his name is dave bliss.. Really nice guy, hes the machinest who is going to assemble my engine, do all the balancing , porting and so on.. I asked him about my pistons and he recomended me the forged pistons instead of dished pistons for his reason i guess? but hes the builder who built tons of these motors and has built 8 sec cars, so im just listening an learning... Im sure that the sportsman block can handle over 550 at the wheels no problem, this is going to be a daily driver so im not going to mash on it every sec, already blew up one motor not about to blow up another..

im most definetly going to up my boost when my seals brake in, going to port my exhaust ports on my heads and still debating on my intake??? i dont know though, i want to have a good low end an porting it only hurts it.. so im not sure what else to do?? anybody have any other recomendations?

93cobra12 said:
the reason i went for a sporstman block is because I wasnt about to spend 1600 bucks on a block alone, the sportsman block costs 900 bucks with a girdle, that engine will be strong.. Im having a builder out here who builds motors for chp and ford racing, his name is dave bliss.. Really nice guy, hes the machinest who is going to assemble my engine, do all the balancing , porting and so on.. I asked him about my pistons and he recomended me the forged pistons instead of dished pistons for his reason i guess? but hes the builder who built tons of these motors and has built 8 sec cars, so im just listening an learning... Im sure that the sportsman block can handle over 550 at the wheels no problem, this is going to be a daily driver so im not going to mash on it every sec, already blew up one motor not about to blow up another..

Do you have his number? How much did your shortblock cost?