In-car video of this weekend's autocross in my '94 Cobra

Killercanary

The car that set the bar.
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
Altoona, PA
I attended an autocross at Mid-State airport held by the CPR of the SCCA. This was my second time out with my '94 Cobra since getting it all put together. I placed 1st in CP, and 8th out of 41 cars in PAX. I have a lot of work to do and I am not proud of the way I drove the car as I made too many mistakes to even count, but I had a freaking blast none-the-less. Here's a video of three of my 6 runs. Enjoy!

YouTube - 7-26-09 CPR autocross at Mid State Airport in my '94 Cobra

• Sponsors (?)

by watching that first run i would have thought that would have been a fairly bad run. it seemed like you were all over the place with it. at one point it looked like you were on the verge of spinning out. perception isn't everything though i guess. good job paul! whens the next event?

by watching that first run i would have thought that would have been a fairly bad run. it seemed like you were all over the place with it. at one point it looked like you were on the verge of spinning out. perception isn't everything though i guess. good job paul! whens the next event?

I agree, and that is why I thought a smoother run would have resulted in a better time. But as shown by the last run which was another "less controlled" run I was faster driving it like that. I don't know what to make of that. The saying that smooth is fast didn't seem to apply to me on Sunday.

I agree, and that is why I thought a smoother run would have resulted in a better time. But as shown by the last run which was another "less controlled" run I was faster driving it like that. I don't know what to make of that. The saying that smooth is fast didn't seem to apply to me on Sunday.

I agree. Smooth doesn't always mean better. Even if you've seen a Ken Block movie, on the outside it looks smooth and flawless until the camera shows him working the wheel inside. It's pretty ugly because there really is no way to make a series of constant turns look smooth inside. INDY, NASCAR, ovals are a different story.

Looks like lots of fun Paul. I AutoX'd for 2 years and had a blast back in 99-01.

Ken Block
YouTube - KEN BLOCK GYMKHANA TWO THE INFOMERCIAL
YouTube - Ken Block Gymkhana Training

Our cars are so hard to watch on the AutoX courses. Without a full setup, they're such pigs. We really need a full on road course to shine. I'm not sure you could eek much more out of that. The last run definitely looked like it was the most fun. A tighter ratio steering rack would probably maybe it a lot less work in the transitions though and might help with the precision. You were getting tossed around a lot too, a tight bucket seat and harness might also help with the control. But the guys who are really fast, always seems to have their tires screeching the entire time on a tight track. If you are in complete control, you're going too slow.

Pretty cool vid man! It was funny on that last run where you let it all go and jerked yourself around a couple of times. Your car doesn't seem to lean much at all. BTW WTH is the track made out of ? Stones? There's pebbles kickin up everywhere.

i watched that again and i see what you mean about that last run. it almost sounds like you nailed a curb and cracked up the fender. i don't remember if you said your tires got messed up at all when they rebounded off the inside.

post pics of the panhard bar then when you get it off. i would like to see a side by side.