Progress Thread In The Beginning, God said, Let there Be LUCIEL!

• Sponsors (?)

Geez, his thread looks like this now:

amtrak-derailment.png

@Keionte - you have a sharp looking car! I tried to watch the video you linked, but since I'm at work today AND I'm relegated to having to hear the audio through the internal computer speaker instead of external speakers, I couldn't hear you. Heard the music just fine though! :rock:Anyway, I'll try to watch them at home since I've seen this thread. I didn't realize you had a few different threads, but then again since I was at home for the past 3 days, I didn't really spend a lot of time online.

Just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth, but I wouldn't go with a wide body on that car. It's too clean from the little I've seen so far. I would, however, go with the fender flares that were shared in what I assume is your first post, like those that @eighty5fox has. Some don't like them, some do - and if it's not obvious, I do. But like I said before, I'd suggest taking it to someone who knows what they're doing. To me, it's just one of those things that if you're not familiar with doing things like that and you want the car to look great, it's best left to someone with experience. But again, my opinion, your car would look awesome with those flares and the right wheel and tire package - especially in black! Another option that I think would look good would be the Meier Racing fenders/quarters, but there's something about them that just don't quite look right to me.

0d3dc7b07a138a76e28887fbb9a99816.jpg

Either way though, it's gonna cost you some coin to have them done well.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, this thread went to hell pretty quickly!

Welcome to the forum, nice car! It sounds like you have a pretty good plan so far, and as one of the members here who has an IRS swapped fox I'll be happy to answer any questions you have about it.

In the mean time, if you have not ordered wheels yet, let me give you some advice. The biggest problem with the IRS is finding a set of wheels that has an offset that will fit the back as well as an offset that fits the fronts. You'll have to decide what you want in the front, knowing that a square tire setup will produce the most neutral handling, but may limit you on traction in the rear as it'll be tough to do more than a 255 up front without rubbing on something or doing fender flairs.

For the rear, I run an 18x9 with a 6.72" backspace, +45 offset with a 275/35/18 Nitto NT05 with no rubbing but it is pretty tight. I also had to use the MM Low profile IRS mount bolts to make it fit at full droop (on jack stands). My front setup is stock K member and A Arms for now with 94/95 spindles, 18x8 wheels with a +45 backspace on them as well so I have to run a 1" spacer to keep them from looking way too tucked in. Tires are currently a 245/40/18 but I'll put on 255's when I eventually need new ones. I also run MM Coil overs at all 4 corners. I'm sure to get what I want I'll have to pay for custom wheels as it's very hard to find wheels available in that wide of a range of sizes and offsets, that actually look good on a fox.

As for the IRS, you REALLY want to upgrade all the bushings in there before you install it as it's a PITA to take it in and out to do that. If you have the coin, go with FTBR Delrin bushings or the MM full kit. Buy once and cry once. I didn't have the money for that but I did replace them all with prothane poly bushings everywhere and it is a vast improvement in wheel hop, but not totally eliminated. Full delrin kits are the only way to eliminate it as far as I've heard.

I'd also suggest getting the MM rear brake line kit for IRS swaps so you don't have to piece it all together like I did before that made the kit.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Well, this thread went to hell pretty quickly!

Welcome to the forum, nice car! It sounds like you have a pretty good plan so far, and as one of the members here who has an IRS swapped fox I'll be happy to answer any questions you have about it.

In the mean time, if you have not ordered wheels yet, let me give you some advice. The biggest problem with the IRS is finding a set of wheels that has an offset that will fit the back as well as an offset that fits the fronts. You'll have to decide what you want in the front, knowing that a square tire setup will produce the most neutral handling, but may limit you on traction in the rear as it'll be tough to do more than a 255 up front without rubbing on something or doing fender flairs.

For the rear, I run an 18x9 with a 6.72" backspace, +45 offset with a 275/35/18 Nitto NT05 with no rubbing but it is pretty tight. I also had to use the MM Low profile IRS mount bolts to make it fit at full droop (on jack stands). My front setup is stock K member and A Arms for now with 94/95 spindles, 18x8 wheels with a +45 backspace on them as well so I have to run a 1" spacer to keep them from looking way too tucked in. Tires are currently a 245/40/18 but I'll put on 255's when I eventually need new ones. I also run MM Coil overs at all 4 corners. I'm sure to get what I want I'll have to pay for custom wheels as it's very hard to find wheels available in that wide of a range of sizes and offsets, that actually look good on a fox.

As for the IRS, you REALLY want to upgrade all the bushings in there before you install it as it's a PITA to take it in and out to do that. If you have the coin, go with FTBR Delrin bushings or the MM full kit. Buy once and cry once. I didn't have the money for that but I did replace them all with prothane poly bushings everywhere and it is a vast improvement in wheel hop, but not totally eliminated. Full delrin kits are the only way to eliminate it as far as I've heard.

I'd also suggest getting the MM rear brake line kit for IRS swaps so you don't have to piece it all together like I did before that made the kit.

Awesome!

My biggest worry is the tire fitment. I want to run 315. Everyone who has been able to get these to fit sware by them. I am going to definitely do something with my fenders to get them to fit. I still need to learn more about what offset and all that to max out handling performance.

I have already purchased the MM bolts with my last order so I'm good there. I was already planning on getting the MM bushing kit and have all the bushings replaced in the rear b4 installing the IRS.

Now, you said something about the hop. Do you still suffer from that even with the IRS or were you referring to the SRA b4 the swap?

As far as the coilovers from MM how happy are you with them? I am planning on getting their K-Member as well.

Thank you in advance!

Awesome!

My biggest worry is the tire fitment. I want to run 315. Everyone who has been able to get these to fit sware by them. I am going to definitely do something with my fenders to get them to fit. I still need to learn more about what offset and all that to max out handling performance.

I have already purchased the MM bolts with my last order so I'm good there. I was already planning on getting the MM bushing kit and have all the bushings replaced in the rear b4 installing the IRS.

Now, you said something about the hop. Do you still suffer from that even with the IRS or were you referring to the SRA b4 the swap?

As far as the coilovers from MM how happy are you with them? I am planning on getting their K-Member as well.

Thank you in advance!

315 Tires on a fox with an IRS... either you're a world class fabricator who can cut and weld, relocate control arms and stuff to make it fit under stock fenders.... or you have fantastic body man skills and are totally ok with putting fender flares and cutting sheet metal on the body to make it fit. Either way, just know that the IRS is like 1.5" wider per side than a fox IRS, and because of the way it mounts to the rear frame in the tire well it takes up room and you won't be able to get more than a 275 in the stock fender without big problems.

The low profile bolts work great, and glad you're getting the MM bushing kit, but you didn't mention which one? They have a few, from just the subframe cradle to full retard replacement (what you need to do).

Wheel hop on the IRS is worse in stock form than on the SRA, 100%, hands down, it's worse. However, putting in the delrin bushings in all control arms at a minimum shows to eliminate this. I put in Poly bushings for like 15% of the cost of Delrin and it's about an 80% improvement, still better than the SRA. It's not too hard to stop it, AND achieve a better ride, better handling, better cornering, etc. but like anything you can pick any two from the following options (Right, Fast, Cheap).

The MM stuff is absolutely top notch, call me a fanboi, but they've earned my business and I'll continue to buy from them even if their prices are higher than competitors. The coil overs are awesome, I get better ride quality at the ride height and stiffness I wanted/needed to achieve my goals. My previous setup was Tokico Blues, Eibach Pro springs, SRA, blah blah blah, and this setup is light years better... BUT it wasn't simple and took time, money, and planning.

Reactions: 1 users
Progress Thread Fun upgrades for my fox custom duckbill-tail
fixed
315 Tires on a fox with an IRS... either you're a world class fabricator who can cut and weld, relocate control arms and stuff to make it fit under stock fenders.... or you have fantastic body man skills and are totally ok with putting fender flares and cutting sheet metal on the body to make it fit. Either way, just know that the IRS is like 1.5" wider per side than a fox IRS, and because of the way it mounts to the rear frame in the tire well it takes up room and you won't be able to get more than a 275 in the stock fender without big problems.

The low profile bolts work great, and glad you're getting the MM bushing kit, but you didn't mention which one? They have a few, from just the subframe cradle to full retard replacement (what you need to do).

Wheel hop on the IRS is worse in stock form than on the SRA, 100%, hands down, it's worse. However, putting in the delrin bushings in all control arms at a minimum shows to eliminate this. I put in Poly bushings for like 15% of the cost of Delrin and it's about an 80% improvement, still better than the SRA. It's not too hard to stop it, AND achieve a better ride, better handling, better cornering, etc. but like anything you can pick any two from the following options (Right, Fast, Cheap).

The MM stuff is absolutely top notch, call me a fanboi, but they've earned my business and I'll continue to buy from them even if their prices are higher than competitors. The coil overs are awesome, I get better ride quality at the ride height and stiffness I wanted/needed to achieve my goals. My previous setup was Tokico Blues, Eibach Pro springs, SRA, blah blah blah, and this setup is light years better... BUT it wasn't simple and took time, money, and planning.

I agree 100% I also used poly bushings and a rear diff brace and it stopped the hop for the most part. I dont have any hop on the street but i would bet that i would on the track. The bushings should be a mandatory upgrade. You will not be able to fit a 315 with the irs unless you have the correct wheel offset and fender flares but it could be done I have some room and could possibly jam a 315 in there. But i run a 285 square set up on my car and do not think I could fit a 315 up front.

• Love
The package I'm planning on getting is the street package from MM. Do you guys think that's overkill?

Now, I wasn't planning on putting this car on the track any time soon, BUUUUUUTTTT.... the more I look into autocross, the more I'm interested in doing it.

As far as the fitting of the tires...If it has been done and can be done, I will figure it out. However, I'm not planning on grabbing the biggest tires and start hacking away at my quarter panels tomorrow, guys. But it is in the vision.

The look of the car is the least important part of this build for me. I have no problem driving around in a beat up looking car as long as it drives, runs well, and safe. Remember, I live in Jersey. The bummier my car looks the safer it is.

I agree 100% I also used poly bushings and a rear diff brace and it stopped the hop for the most part. I dont have any hop on the street but i would bet that i would on the track. The bushings should be a mandatory upgrade. You will not be able to fit a 315 with the irs unless you have the correct wheel offset and fender flares but it could be done I have some room and could possibly jam a 315 in there. But i run a 285 square set up on my car and do not think I could fit a 315 up front.
LOL,

I was just saying that. If it can be done, I will get it done. I just need time to plan it out and go for it.

I'd recommend the following kits at a high level but the actual components in each kit should be discussed with Jack at MM as he is fantastic about helping you pick the right parts for your car and what you want to do.

Let me say this....

Every mod I was planning on getting for this car has a purpose.

The wide body/ fender flares are for the tires. Some "LOOK AT ME", but mostly for the tires.

The tires are for handling and grip. I do not care what rims I put on the car. I just want them to be light, durable and to fit.

The dump valve is to quiet "HER" (That one's for you Mike) ----->JOKING!!!!!!!<------, down around town. I do plan on dailying this car and I begin my day at 3 am. I don't want to be an alarm clock for my neighbors. Showing off is just a nice added bonus.

The air ride is for parking lots, speed bumps and handling. I believe air ride will surpass coilovers soon if they haven't already. (Way off from pulling the trigger on air ride, btw. I still need to do waaay more research on them.)

And let me add, I was going to buy a 2019 v8 mustang b4 I got the 88. The money I saved on that car far outways what I'm going to put into this one. Even if I hit 20k I'm still 40k ahead after interest fees, insurance, and depreciation.

I am:

Arrogant
Obnoxious
Bullheaded
Shallow
Short-tempered
Inpatient
Impulsive
Revengeful
and Naive

but far from stupid.

I'd recommend the following kits at a high level but the actual components in each kit should be discussed with Jack at MM as he is fantastic about helping you pick the right parts for your car and what you want to do.

That's funny you say that. I just called them, but theyre closed atm.

Don't let these yahoos get in your head. It's a full-time job just sorting through their ism's. :O_o:

I like the air ride idea. I've seen some that were done well and they are my top pick for any full-time cruiser.

I believe air ride will surpass coilovers soon if they haven't already.

I don't know what this means but it won't ever happen. They are each employed for different reasons. It would be like saying that bluejeans will become extinct because somebody made a really good pair of shorts. :shrug:

The dump valve is pretty gimmicky but here's why I say that:

It's not a race car. There will likely never be a time when opening the valve will make any difference other than to be loud. Otherwise, they are just a maintenance item. It is not to say that it can't be done. The actual performance benefit would require a significant amount of exhaust tuning on a [dyno] (for Mike :D ).

If you find a way to fit 315s in the back of an IRS fox please post a link. 275s are what I want but the 265s are tight already.

What other stuff have you done to this thing. I know the engine is running cause you're getting it ( or got it ) tuned by Steve. Have you done anything inside the car ?

Don't let these yahoos get in your head. It's a full-time job just sorting through their ism's. :O_o:

I like the air ride idea. I've seen some that were done well and they are my top pick for any full-time cruiser.

I don't know what this means but it won't ever happen. They are each employed for different reasons. It would be like saying that bluejeans will become extinct because somebody made a really good pair of shorts. :shrug:

The dump valve is pretty gimmicky but here's why I say that:

It's not a race car. There will likely never be a time when opening the valve will make any difference other than to be loud. Otherwise, they are just a maintenance item. It is not to say that it can't be done. The actual performance benefit would require a significant amount of exhaust tuning on a [dyno] (for Mike :D ).
AHHHHH

See, I didn't know that about the dump valve. I was watching a bunch of videos that have shown a huge increase in horsepower/ torque when opening the valve with turbocharged engines. (Something I do see doing one day.) I still need to read up more on that.

And, I don't mean that coilovers will go away. I just think the air ride will give coilovers a run for the money is all.