Drivetrain Inspecting a t5… what to check.

• Sponsors (?)

Ok, decided to pull the main gear shaft out and make sure the case was really clean. The reverse gear idler looks worn to me. Should I go ahead and replace it while I'm in there? aside from that, I believe I'm ready to clean it up and put it together. Gonna give it a very detailed inspection in the morning to see if anything else looks damaged.

this is turning into a pain in the butt. At least I'm not on a time crunch.

Attachments

• IMG_4057.jpg
    IMG_4057.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4056.jpg
    IMG_4056.jpg
    357.9 KB · Views: 33
I can't say for a T5, but years ago I "redid" my muncie 4 speed in a Z28 I had... The reverse idler looked about the same.. I cleaned up the edges a bit and reused it... Worked fine, a little noisey but what reverse gears aren't??

eh, that’s borderline enough that I probably wouldn’t replace it.

That damage is from trying to jam the trans into reverse while everything is still spinning, rather than go for a forward gear first and then reverse.

Later T5s got a reverse synchronizer so this was less of an issue.

If you had a good reverse idler, I’d swap it while there, but if not I’d just send it.

Reactions: 1 user
any advice for cleaning things up? I think i'm gonna try to take the case to work and ice blast it. For the actual insides, brake clean, then compressed air , followed up by a shop towel? put it back together, and lube as I go?

I usually assemble with a quart of ATF. I lightly drip it over parts as assemble and then dump the rest in through the shifter when done.

Spin the gears over by hand for a bit and then drain the fluid out.