Install your own suspension?

LaserSVT

Got FB banned again for saying nards
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
So my Eibach setup should show up sometime today........I hope :mad:
Anyway 2mro Im gonna install my new springs and shocks/struts and I have never done it before. Any pointers guys? I have 8 jack stands and a couple hydraulic jacks and all the air tools I need. The only thing I dont have is a spring compressor, can I do it without one?

• Sponsors (?)

Yes. It can be a b**** though. The best thing I can tell you to do is to get some beer, a helper, and some patience. It's mostly just unbolting/bolting and the learning curve is short. +1 on the air tools, that will make it a bit easier. By the time your done with the first two you'll be an expert! Good luck!

You will be fine as long as you can get the top nut off the strut. I took mine off on the weekend (no air tools) and the top nut was being a PITA so I cut the nut in half with the dremel :nice: Everything else is a piece of cake.

Yeah if you don't wanna use a spring compressor for the front (at all, really) then take the tie rod end links out of the spindles. To do this you can either A) get a LARGE weighted hammer and smack the knuckle (NOT THE END LINK) REALLY HARD right where it it mates with the end link, or, B) go to autozone/advance auto/napa, etc. and get a tie rod/pitman arm removal tool that goes OVER the knuckle part, and has a screw in the middle **THE PICKLE FORK REMOVAL TOOLS SUCK DONT BOTHER TRYING ONE OF THOSE!!).

After that, you just drop the control arm to the floor, put new spring in etc etc

Yeah it made all the difference in the world. I did it myself with no extra hands. The key is getting the nose high enough and dissconeccting all the sway and steering stuff. Everything goes on pretty easy :nice:

to do the rear, remove both wheels, remove the sway bar, the remove the rear bolt of the control arm, gently push the control arm down until the springs are able to be pulled out, replace with new springs, push up on control arm, re-insert bolt, and tighten it down, do same for the other side and you're done.

back is easier than the front.