Installed Comp Cams 278

SonicStangGT

Mar 18, 2008
King, North Carolina
I just installed the 278's and have had a very bad turn out. Come to find out that I am having piston to valve issues.:bang: Thanks to this forums help I was able to figure this out. So now I Have to take the motor out and am going to try to cut reliefs in the stock pistons. Just trying to see if anyone has heard of this on a 2v. My dad sad that back in the day when they didn't have resources to get pistons they would do this. Also, what are some mods that I should do while the motor is out. Thanks for the info.:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

yep, its the standard with the 278's and also the 270's. Many claim to get away with the 270's and stock pistons, but over time, they all fall. Good luck.

put a set of headers on the car if you dont already have them. Depending on how many miles are on the car, it wouldnt hurt to throw a new set of motor mounts on the car also. 4.6's are notorious for busting motor mounts.

not sure if you have to or not. We have decided to use a set of forged pistons with flycuts. Also going to through a set of I-beam rods so I can run a bigger shot of nitrous. Start pulling motor this week.wish I had more money to work with but I do what I can.

I just got a set of manley pistons with the valve reliefs cut, manley h-beams, moly rings, head studs and main studs, all this shipped to my door from MPH cost me 1936.51 hope this helps it's what tim recommended to me and I'm also going to be running those cams with a 200 shot