Installed the Rear Main Seal now I just want to make sure I did it Right

69Rcode_Mach1

Apr 20, 2004
Salt Lake City, Utah
Alright guys I installed the new rear main seal properly this time I hope I put it in properly though. I looked at all the instructions and I got an idea but they seemed kind of vague. So the lip faces the front of the engine correct, and then the part that slopes downward faces the flywheel correct?

• Sponsors (?)

69Rcode_Mach1 said:
Alright guys I installed the new rear main seal properly this time I hope I put it in properly though. I looked at all the instructions and I got an idea but they seemed kind of vague. So the lip faces the front of the engine correct, and then the part that slopes downward faces the flywheel correct?

Correct-lips go to the front and the taper goes to the flywheel.

Yeah I did it right I have stopped that leak, I took it for a drive it ran like crap cause the tune was so bad, If I put down more than 1/4 throttle it will backfire out the carb and just sputter. Then it fouled the plugs again and I got stranded. Man it was fun night, and I am still trying to figure out when the payoff comes inthis hobby. :D

Your problems all come from the thin air in SLC. Deliver that sick pony directly to me in LA and it will be fine....

:lol: :rlaugh: :lol: :rlaugh:

BTW congrats on getting the rear main seal fixed.

I have no problem running it on premium.That is what I was planning on when I chose that compression.Up here you can run all the way up to 11.7:1 compression on 91 pump gas. Man it sucks being 4000ft above sea level. I need experience, this is my first regular engine I've built so I am really crapping in the dark.

The carb is brand new so I doubt those are the problem. It is running rich though. Plus this carb has blow out protection so the power valve can't be blown. My fuel pressure is level right at 5psi so I don't think that is too much. It is a factory pump.

Double check timing and firing order. 351W is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. If you put in a 302 cam it's 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8. The distributor shaft and rotor turns counterclockwise. Elementary I know but it could be causing the problems you describe.

I understand it is things like these we need to be able to cross off the list though. The firing order is correct and is set for a 302, I also know that it goes counterclockwise. Anything else? I have a friend coming on saturday who has experience in all this to help me get the car running properly.