Installing Mgw Shifter And Changing Trans Oil. Can I Do It In My Garage?

Dextas' Stang

Feb 22, 2014
Hi all,

I'm from the UK and upgraded from my 05 V6 to a 2011 5.0 manual. Just waiting for it to arrive now. It's still running the stock shifter, and I can only imagine the stock trans fluid.

I plan to buy an MGW shifter (as long as they will ship to me) and I've located some Amsoil MTF in the UK. I've decided to go with that over MTG because let's be honest, it's the UK. The weather sucks.

Now I am able to use a garage with a hydraulic lift and such and I really want to install the shifter and change the oil myself because I don't trust my local garage with a $500 shifter.

I've read a ton of threads but I just need a definitive answer. Can I install the shifter and change the oil by myself?

What else will I need? Is it just the shifter, oil, a pump and tools, or are there other components and brackets that I need to get all this done? (I heard something about a trans mount but not sure if I need it).

I plan to do this literally as soon as the Mustang gets here because I don't fancy forking out for a new trans and shipping to the UK!

Any help and advice is appreciated.

On a side note, if you know anywhere I can get an MGW shifter shipped to the UK let me know, I really want one!

• Sponsors (?)

Also what's up with this I got this email from Amsoil?!

Will,

Thank you for your question. AMSOIL does not recommend either of these two products to be used in your 2011 Mustang GT manual transmission. They do not meet the performance specification requirements and so we would not support their use in your transmission for this reason. For the TR6060 manual transmission you will want to consider using the recommended AMSOIL Signature Series Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) that meets the Mercon 5 spec requirement. Even though this is a manual transmission, Ford calls for this specification and so the ATF is what we recommend and support. If you have the MT82 transmission AMSOIL does not have a product for you at this time

amsoil is right their oils do not right now meet the needed spec, for the new oil you most use. in 2013 ford changed the oil to the same used in the dual clutch auto transmissions. you will need 3 qts of ford part number XT-11-QDC no additives , have your self ready for the sticker shock cost as the oil has a list price of $23.66 a qt in us dollars
this oil is lighter then first used and stops a lot of the cold gear grinding in air temps below 40 deg F
as to the shifter yes you can do it in your garage. it is not hard to do but not as easy as on a lift. a few bolts are hard to get at laying on your back

I just installed the MGW shifter in my 2014 GT 5.0 on my garage floor and it was entertaining to say the least!!:eek: My hands are a little large for getting at several bolts but I finally got it done and boy was it worth doing.....positive shifts and much less noise than the OEM with the Barton Bracket!!:nice:
FORD should have installed this shifter from the factory!!:shrug:

this oil is lighter then first used and stops a lot of the cold gear grinding in air temps below 40 deg F

I always wondered about that. After a few minutes it goes away (unless it is REALLY cold), but I never understood why they let the cars leave the production line with a stock fluid that allows such lack of performance.

I just recently installed the shifter in my garage with the car on stands. You will need a second set of hands to pull the trans/exhaust out of the way. Start to finish and in no rush including jacking the car up and securing it took less than 4 hrs.

And its worth every penny and time invested. I bought the black shifter ball and its great too.

I just recently installed the shifter in my garage with the car on stands. You will need a second set of hands to pull the trans/exhaust out of the way. Start to finish and in no rush including jacking the car up and securing it took less than 4 hrs.

And its worth every penny and time invested. I bought the black shifter ball and its great too.
Just realized this is an older thread but still very pertinent for future inquiries.