Installing the new BBK H-pipe...son of a bitch!

88 Fox GT

Nov 18, 2002
Iowa
What a ****ing pain in the ass! First off, snapped two studs off the headers. H-pipe fitmet sucks ass so far. I have to take the H-pipe and headers back off now. I gotta drill out the broken studs on the headers and find out how the **** to make the H pipe fit better so that my driver side tailpipe isn't sticking out out from under the rear bumper. I thought that swapping a mid-pipe was fairly simple. :shrug: Why do these simple projects always turn into a huge deal that takes days to complete? :mad:

• Sponsors (?)

Tonys89GT said:
Ive done several and it was alway really easy....you been drinking:shrug:
I know they are pretty easy. Theoretically, you should just remove 8 nuts, remove the smog stuff, and bolt it back in. Hell no. The H pipe doesn't fit worth a **** compared to the stock one. I had to wrestle and fight and smack it with a rubber mallet. I had to take the catback off the hangers and wrestle it around. I just said forget it because I have to take the headers off to drill the broken studs anyway. I'm going to take everything back out and just try it again...whenever I get the time. :rolleyes:

BBK eh? I haven't heard any reviews on them, other than your troubles.

Good luck getting it to fit though. I don't do exhaust stuff myself. No lift = No way im wasting my time.

I took my to Kal Tire, the guy there Brad has done all of the exhausts for my friends and I got him to fab up a full exhaust from the headers. Fits like a glove because its custom made, perfectly welded in by hand (he is gifted haha), a custom H pipe and it was cheaper for the whole exhaust than most cat backs.

man, i've done this swap 4 times in one day, bout an hr for each. I let my friend borrow my hpipe since I was going out of town then decided not to leave so we put mine back on my car then his back on his car. No problems... you suck lol j/k

88 Fox GT said:
I know they are pretty easy. Theoretically, you should just remove 8 nuts, remove the smog stuff, and bolt it back in. Hell no. The H pipe doesn't fit worth a **** compared to the stock one. I had to wrestle and fight and smack it with a rubber mallet. I had to take the catback off the hangers and wrestle it around. I just said forget it because I have to take the headers off to drill the broken studs anyway. I'm going to take everything back out and just try it again...whenever I get the time. :rolleyes:

lol I think weve all discovered theoretically, everything should be easy to do on our cars, but when you start digging in and do something for the first time, its a different story.

So are you guys telling me that your nuts came off your stock headers studs without breaking? That's a miracle, because they broke on my last car too.

If it wasn't for those ****ing broken studs, it probably would have went fine. Once those broke, I lost all patience. :nonono:

88 Fox GT said:
I wish I was blessed with a car that didn't have nuts & bolts that have road grime and rust on them, making them basically one solid unit. :mad:

If it wasn't for those ****ing broken studs, it probably would have went fine. Once those broke, I lost all patience. :nonono:

Yea, when I come across bolts like that, i pull out the wd40 and gloves, and usually gets the job done.

I snapped a bolt on my 360 heads... But it was rusted and I just pulled out my torque multiplyer instead of working it loose and putting penetrating lube on it.. Probably not the best idea...

Yeah, all my studs have not broken and I have out it on and taken it off at least 6 times. My car has also never been north of South Carolina and has absolutely NO rust anywhere :D

i had the collector studs break on me too when i put my mac h-pipe on my gt, debated drilling em out, but in the end just decided to get a pair of bbk chrome shorties instead of messing with stock, crushbent headers.

i also put a bbk catted-h on my old lx, total pita, and it hung real low. thats what i like about the mac piece i got now, three pieces so all the hangers are easily used and its alot more adjustable.

I am going to be doing a costom exhaust from the headers back with welded seams and all stainless....Man I love working at a shop for a second job with a boss who has all the right tools lol....he is gifted aswell. He is known around here as the exhaust king cause he is verry picky and likes doing costom exhaust

PB Blaster is 1000000x better than wd40. I also broke the studs on my stock headers but I was taking them off to change the header gaskets anyway. I've never realy had a problem installing or removing my summit H-pipe, I also have BBK headers now so I dont realy have to worry about breaking bolts anymore.

I was very disappointed in my BBK H-pipe. It is a pain to install.

Don't feel bad, everything on my car has turned into a major project taking twice as long and costing twice as much.

66mustang93 said:
I was very disappointed in my BBK H-pipe. It is a pain to install.

Don't feel bad, everything on my car has turned into a major project taking twice as long and costing twice as much.
LOL I hate when that happens.

I would just throw the old POS headers out for something better, but I don't think I have the money to be doing that right now. I'll get some header gaskets, take them off, and drill them out. I just hope that I can get the H pipe to fit better because from the mock up last night, it made the passeneger side tail pipe tucked up under the car almost perfectly whereas the driver side suck out about 1-2 inches. :nonono: