Intake Leaking Fuel?

badboya87

Apr 17, 2005
I Got A 347 Stroker All Done Up, Got About 500 Miles On It Runing Pretty Good, All The Sudden On My Trickflow Intake Manifold You Can See Fuel Seaping Out The Gasket. The Car Is Not Missfiring And Sounds Normal, And Fuel Pressure Is Only At 50 Psi. I Have Only One Idea That It Could Be I Have The Stock Distributor In It Still. I Have A Msd Just Not In Yet. Wondering If It Will Solve My Headache.

• Sponsors (?)

You should retorque your lower intake maifold after a couple hundred miles just to make sure that they didnt work loose and that the gasket is still snug. Try that because the distributor has nothing to do with the gasket.
Kevin

It Is Not Leaking From Lower Intake It Is Leaking Between Upper And Lower , There Isnt Fuel Supposed To Be Flowing There Anyway, Just Air. How Is The Fuel Making Its Way Up To The Top Of My Intake, I Also Have A Intake Spacer Which Is Made Out Of Some Special Wood And It Is Soaked In Fuel.

Remove the vacuum line from the fuel pressure regulator. Look for raw gas or evidence of gas in the vacuum line. It would allow raw gas to get sucked into the intake through the vacuum line.

With the vacuum line disconnected, start the car and watch to see if gas comes out of the fuel pressure regulator fitting where the vacuum line connected.

If you find fuel in the vacuum line or coming out the vacuum port on the fuel pressure regulator, then the fuel pressure regulator is leaking & needs repair or replacement.

Ok I did a compression test all were at 110 with exception on #8. I cranked and cranked and nothing at all. I double Checked to see if I had it in the right hole and it was. I had the heads done about a year ago so I don’t think that pressure would escape from a blown head gasket, so could that be bad rings ? It didn’t even compress? Is this the reason I’m not holding fuel pressure maybe rings bad fuel escaping from rings? I don’t know just asking

Last edited:
That's not good... Heads gotta come off either way zero compression is usually bent or tourched valve or a melted piston in my experience but could be other possibilities. Has nothing to do with fuel pressure though.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
That's not good... Heads gotta come off either way zero compression is usually bent or tourched valve or a melted piston in my experience but could be other possibilities. Has nothing to do with fuel pressure though.
Bent or burned valves or melted piston, how does that happen? I don’t race car but ever scince I bought car the water has been brown I flushed it few times and still gets brown, can cooling be a factor in a bent valve? Should I do a leak down test or just skip that and remove the head & visually inspect?

Last edited:
Now or later you're yank'n the head.
Sorry. :(
Huh...ahh...wait.
How'd we get here???
Car driving good no issues no racing (never race)out of nowhere loss of power,engine shaking.Car ran like crap. Assuming a fuel issue cuz I turn key to prime and fuel pressure drops Dosent hold assuming it’s fuel issue using.Crank no start and surging idel checklist checking everything I had to do the compression test. O and I saw the gas between the upper and lower. But the compression test is for sure something is up in 8. Zero compression didn’t register. Gonna add oil in there and test again . Then I’ll remove it and take a look. Anything I should check for before I remove the intake and valve cover?

Car driving good no issues no racing (never race)out of nowhere loss of power,engine shaking.Car ran like crap. Assuming a fuel issue cuz I turn key to prime and fuel pressure drops Dosent hold assuming it’s fuel issue using.Crank no start and surging idel checklist checking everything I had to do the compression test. O and I saw the gas between the upper and lower. But the compression test is for sure something is up in 8. Zero compression didn’t register. Gonna add oil in there and test again . Then I’ll remove it and take a look. Anything I should check for before I remove the intake and valve cover?
Ok I have a broken intake spring! Had oil between upper and lower.Does this mean rings are bad or something just went bad and broke/bent/hot .The rocker looks ok,ran the pr on flat surfaces appears to be not bent. Not sure on the background of this engine so I’m not sure what springs they are but the heads are e7 ported. Soooo I was thinking I’d there a way to tell if my valve is bent without removing it? Was thinking of looking inside the cylinder look to see if valve broken and was going to run air inside and swap the spring with a stock and try it. Think this would work? Or do I have to remove head and inspect?

Attachments

• IMG_2606.jpeg
    IMG_2606.jpeg
    604.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2607.jpeg
    IMG_2607.jpeg
    747.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2610.jpeg
    IMG_2610.jpeg
    621.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2613.jpeg
    IMG_2613.jpeg
    648.6 KB · Views: 38
Ok I have a broken intake spring! Had oil between upper and lower.Does this mean rings are bad or something just went bad and broke/bent/hot .The rocker looks ok,ran the pr on flat surfaces appears to be not bent. Not sure on the background of this engine so I’m not sure what springs they are but the heads are e7 ported. Soooo I was thinking I’d there a way to tell if my valve is bent without removing it? Was thinking of looking inside the cylinder look to see if valve broken and was going to run air inside and swap the spring with a stock and try it. Think this would work? Or do I have to remove head and inspect?
If the springs broken and no compression I'd pull the head very high chance that valve is bent.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
With no compression you will probably hear the air coming out the port for that valve. No really needed, just hook some shop air to the plug hole. You could try slapping a spring on it but if it where mine I'd spend the 30 bucks on gaskets and pull the head and inspect the damage vs risking the valve breaking and taking out the short block.

I had a 73 Z28 that was 3 years old and it broke 2 valve springs with 40K on it.....
I would replace ALL of the valve springs if it was mine.... Trillions of times getting pushed up and down.............

you guys are the best lol ! Can’t I run a tiny camera inside instead of removing? Won’t be able to see the valve but if i replace spring I could run test again if no air leaks then valve should be fine?And if I remove head won’t I have to have it resurfaced/milled? I had a valve job done last year, they used same valves,so should I get new ones? & do I need to replace the valve guide on this broken spring one?

A camera in plug hole on a sbf won't show much, you can see the piston not much of the chamber.... Its up to you what ya want to do. Like I said I'd be pulling the head and checking the damage then going from there... Most likely the valve kissed the piston and bent, slapping a spring on a bent valve and risking it snapping the head off is something I wouldn't do. That will trash a lot more parts then what's broken now.. If the piston isn't fubar I wouldn't even bother fixing the e7 heads, by the time your done with machine shop prices and parts you can build a some what decent set of the budget China aluminum heads from the same bare casting afr uses on the enforcer line or at least do a decent set of iron gt40's. Most machine shops can get the aluminum casting from a Parts supplier like liberty for a decent price but have to ask your local shops. Just avoid anything pro comp or speedmaster. If its just a driver, e7 heads are dirt cheap used, practically have to give those away.

I think you are trying to stick your head up a bull's ass to see what a steak looks like. Pull the intakes, yank the head off the block, and assess the damage. You have been given really good advice by a few guys that have a ton of experience. You are asking questions about the cylinder head that can only be answered by pulling the head off (is the valve bent, will it need to be surfaced/milled, is the guide bad, etc.).

Reactions: 2 users
you guys are the best lol ! Can’t I run a tiny camera inside instead of removing? Won’t be able to see the valve but if i replace spring I could run test again if no air leaks then valve should be fine?And if I remove head won’t I have to have it resurfaced/milled? I had a valve job done last year, they used same valves,so should I get new ones? & do I need to replace the valve guide on this broken spring one?
I think you are trying to stick your head up a bull's ass to see what a steak looks like. Pull the intakes, yank the head off the block, and assess the damage. You have been given really good advice by a few guys that have a ton of experience. You are asking questions about the cylinder head that can only be answered by pulling the head off (is the valve bent, will it need to be surfaced/milled, is the guide bad, etc.).
I think this is the best comment/response of all. Pulling heads,not sure if I should buy trick flow spring kit