intake manifold removal

I know this is a common thing but I have some questions about the way I am doing it. I am just taking off the upper manifold to change the upper manifold gasket. Since I am only taking off the upper, will I need to take out the distributor? I have the timing set perfect right now and I would rather not reset it if I don't have to take it out. I talked to my mechanic here and he told me there is no sealer I need when I put the gasket on? is this true? He said I could use some just to hold it in place but that is all I need. If I use sealer, what is the best kind to use? ALso, all of the stuff I have to do with getting the #1 to TDC, do I have to worry about that?

Also, I do have the track heat TF manifold for my car. It already has a 70 mm tb which is too big for the stock motor so I am bogging down some on low rpm. I know if I put that manifold on, it would bogg it down even more, but I am going to the track on May 24th, so it is not going to see much low rpm there. So would it be worth it just to put the manifold on now? I Have that 70 mm tb and the manifold comes with a 75 mm opening so I would not even be getting the full amont of air. it has the stock cam and stock heads. Any suggestions on what I should do?

• Sponsors (?)

i wouldn't mind trying to give some advice, but i'm quite confused. i actually just took my stock upper off this afternoon for the first time... ran into some snags but got er done, took a bunch of pics too if they would help.... are you taking off the stock one to put on the TF one? stock comes off without touching the dizzy. my stock upper to lower gasket had no sealer, pretty much looked brand new except for some oil on it. i honestly probably could have just blown on it and it would have moved, wasn't stuck to anything at all... and if you're just taking off your upper, TDC has nothing to do with that.

you won't bog down with the 70mm tb on the TF manifold either. as long as your manifold opening is bigger than the tb, it shouldnt matter. but for the mods you have, just curious why you have a track heat intake already? future plans? also what size is the MAF you converted to, because that will likely be the biggest restriction if it is not larger than stock...

yea. a lot of future plans. All that I really know for now is nitrous, which I had on it but had to sell to get some work done, tf ported track heat heads, 30 lb injectors, 76 mass air meter, and all of my suspension I have planned. mm everything basically. with frp rear uppers, and a upr k member. Right now, the car is speed density. If I get time this week, I am going to try to convert it. I have some pages printed out on how to do it, just about when I do it. I have a lot to do before it goes to the track. So yea, the mass air meter whne I convert it will be stock... for now.

for now, you can see what I have in my sig. The 3 things that I have that are not on my sig are the track heat intake, 30 lb injectors, and mac cai. I am getting everything so that I don't have to buy the same part 3 times. Like the injectors. I am not ready for 30 lb injectors with a stock motor, but I don't want to add some upgrades, upgrade to 24, buy some upgrades, go to 30. so I just bought the 30 (125 dollars on ebay with 500 miles on them) and wanted to throw everything on at once.

The only reason I asked about throwing the manifold on now is so that I might get some better numbers at the track. but I have the upper and lower so I would have to fool with the distributor and TDC if I wanted to put the lower in... if I can get some help or any other suggestions, I would like to hear what ya'll think I should do

If you're just removing the upper intake, you shouldn't have to touch the distributor. I just finished yanking an upper and lower on two 302 engines out of a truck and didn't take out the distributor.

If you're just removing the upper intake, you shouldn't have to touch the distributor. I just finished yanking an upper and lower on two 302 engines out of a truck and didn't take out the distributor.

Yanking out the lower is kinda hard without taking out the distributor unless you take off the temp. stat housing.,.....that intake is not going to bog out your motor. Yeah you will be getting more air but your heads are only going to allow you to get so much more air. If your car is Mass Air then the MAF sensor will give if more fuel and you will make more power not bogg it out. He is right. You do not need sealer for the gasket between the upper and lower. Air is the only thing that travels between the 2. If you dont touch the distributor then there is no reason why you would need to worry about the piston being at TDC...just me though unless I had alot done to the motor HCI or more I wouldnt put 30 lb injectors in that thing. Buy 24s and then sell them when you might need 30s.24s will last a good while for HP wise with just a HCI combo

I spent a few hours today and got that done and my driveshaft safety loop. The manifold was easy. I just feel better when I ask questions before I do something on the 'stang that I have not done before. I did label all of my vacuum lines while doing it but I still have one problem with it. My car had no pcv valve so no wire connected to it. what wire connects to the pcv valve. I know the pcv goes on in the grommet, but I don't know what vacuum wire goes to it since I did not have a pcv valve on the car

I spent a few hours today and got that done and my driveshaft safety loop. The manifold was easy. I just feel better when I ask questions before I do something on the 'stang that I have not done before. I did label all of my vacuum lines while doing it but I still have one problem with it. My car had no pcv valve so no wire connected to it. what wire connects to the pcv valve. I know the pcv goes on in the grommet, but I don't know what vacuum wire goes to it since I did not have a pcv valve on the car

lol I saw wire and I was like WTF you dont have a WIRE going to the pcv valve...I always called it a hose but I know what you mean now. Anyway there should a hose running from your upper intake into the the pcv valve

lol. yea. now that I read what I wrote, it does sound hard to read. I had a long day working on the car. I am taking it to the track so I am really trying to get a lot of work done to it right now. I have all of these parts laying around the house and finally told myslef that they had to go on. I actually have piles of parts in my room. I finally put the quarter windows, safety loop and gasket on. I am just going to look at how my 2 firned with fox bodies have theirs. This guy screwed me up by not having it right. It has created a bad high idle when the car starts and killing me on gas. when I start my car, it idles at 2,000 and slowly makes it's way down the longer I drive the car. and with gas at 3.50 a gallon, I know I have to fix it. All of the vacuum lines should be the same on all fox bodies?

lol. yea. now that I read what I wrote, it does sound hard to read. I had a long day working on the car. I am taking it to the track so I am really trying to get a lot of work done to it right now. I have all of these parts laying around the house and finally told myslef that they had to go on. I actually have piles of parts in my room. I finally put the quarter windows, safety loop and gasket on. I am just going to look at how my 2 firned with fox bodies have theirs. This guy screwed me up by not having it right. It has created a bad high idle when the car starts and killing me on gas. when I start my car, it idles at 2,000 and slowly makes it's way down the longer I drive the car. and with gas at 3.50 a gallon, I know I have to fix it. All of the vacuum lines should be the same on all fox bodies?

yeah 87-93 should be