Intake Runner Cotrol Unit ???

mustanger98

Dec 28, 2003
Florida
I keep getting my check engine light and when i get it downloaded they tell me its the intake runner comoand unit. The mechanic said that there is a kit to delete this. Does anyone know what im talking about and where I can find this. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

There is a kit, but unless you are running a power adder, expect to lose about 60 torque off the line. Running a delete kit is fine with a power adder since you will more than make it up, but its not worth the kit without a Power adder. The problem could also be that the IRMC plates need cleaning. The butterfly's may not be opening up. This is a common problem for all 96-98 4V engines. Try cleaning the plates first which fixes most problems, and if it doesnt then replace the controller unit (around $90). If it is just the plates causing the code, you will notice some additional power after 3250 rpms which is when the IMRC's should open up.

Good luck!!!!

what should i use to clean the plates? Im thinking carb cleaner. But I dont want to use the wrong stuff and screw it up. Oh I priced the part thru ford its $180 so i will try cleaning it first. About how much work am i looking at? And will i need to replace any gaskets to get it out?

The code is telling you the imrc control unit is malfunctioning. Why delete it - just fix it!
BudGuy is correct - you'll lose lots of power,, its not worth it. Clean them and replace if necessary. Our engines were designed to have imrc's

peace

There was a thread on cleaning the butterflys and such posted here (or the link). Do a search...

Paul's High Performance claims no loss of low end power with the delete kit, but it's $225 and it's not clear if it means TQ or HP.