Interior Cowl Refinishing

Platonic Solid

Founding Member
May 29, 2002
CT-USA
Though access to the interior cowl area on 71-73 Mustangz is easier than on older models, it’s still inconvenient. With that in mind, I want to refinish the interior cowl area of the 73 Mach. It is in excellent condition with only minor surface rust on the back wall and slight signs of discoloration at the interior front seams. The original coating is there ( Paint? Seam Sealer? What the heck is this stuff???) – not pealing and looks to be in good shape. I want to preserve this critical area by refinishing it. Drilling the 100 spot-welds and removing the cowl top would be over-kill (been there - done that on my 72 covpe which had major cowl rot).

I’d prefer not to remove the original coating. Just clean everything that I can reach as best as possible, and then recoat everything. I’m a big fan of Por-15, but I think it would be inappropriate here unless I strip the original coating off (highly undesirable) since its preparation requires acid etching. I’d like the end result to be neat, clean, smooth, professional and durable (hence, rubberized spray undercoating is not acceptable). Any thoughts or experience on which rust preventative product(s) is best here?

Thanks
Svend

• Sponsors (?)