intermittent starting problems

I have a 1989 5.0 LX AOD and it sometimes it wont start. I just replaced the battery and i know the alternator is charging. I don't think its the starter cause i hear it cranking and it sounds strong. Sometimes when i leave the car sitting for a while (maybe over night) or at least until the engine cools down i have trouble starting it again. I'll hold the key and it wont turn over. Then i'll immidiately try it again and it starts right up. Just recently i held it as hard as i could twice and it wouldnt turn over but then i did it a third time (longest its taken) and it started right up. I think it could be something with the fuel? Like it isn't getting enough fuel right at startup or something? Cause also, i've tried pushin on the gas pedal (even though i have EFI) while its starting and i think it helps but i dont know. it might not at all. Anyways, i dont have enough knowledge to know what would be causing an EFI engine to not turn over, thanks for your time. Whats the problem?

• Sponsors (?)

Next time it won't start, leave keys in "on" position and short the starter solenoid with a disposable screwdriver. If problem still exists then it is NOT your starter solenoid (relay). Problem might be in the starter (most likely) or in the key switch. You can check the key switch simply by putting a volt meter on the small temrminal of the starter relay and reference the other lead to ground. Have a friend start the car. Should have 8-12 volts. If not then it's probably the key switch.

i like ID's thinking.

also, if it does not actually turn over (you mention cranking strong and not turning over, so i am confused), dont forget to check and clean your cables. a bad ground could do just that. same for the pos cable. those who live in the Pacific Northwest know that a bad ground and moisture will do just what you describe. if it goes from nothing to starting (nothing when key is turned, to all of a sudden starting on the next try), think connections. good luck.
also, if ID's solenoid trigger wire test (the little wire that pulls off) fails, dont forget your neutral safety switch.

I have this EXACT same problem.....sometimes giving it gas seems to help but like you ...i'm not sure...for me it's been doing it for over a year and a half...had it w/ the AOD and after the T-5 swap...I'm assuming it's my starter....post your results back in this post so I can fix it on mine too.