Internally or externally balanced: how to tell?

2001 V6 5 speed. Ordered a new flywheel and Stage 2 Kevlar clutch from Spec. They didn’t ask if the old flywheel had balance weights; how would I know if I hadn’t already taken it apart before ordering?

I didn’t know to inspect the old one for weights, and like an idiot, I got rid of the old one before starting the car with the new one. It has a significant vibration that wasn’t there before. Spec says I’ll have to pull it apart; if the new one has a weight, take it off. If it doesn’t, you need to add one.

I’m not looking forward to pulling it apart again and then crossing my fingers that removing or adding a weight will fix it.

Can it be determined from the engine serial number if it’s internally or externally balanced?

• Sponsors (?)

I can't answer that but I can say I am a stickler for saving the old parts way way way after the new one is installed.

2001 V6 5 speed. Ordered a new flywheel and Stage 2 Kevlar clutch from Spec. They didn’t ask if the old flywheel had balance weights; how would I know if I hadn’t already taken it apart before ordering?

I didn’t know to inspect the old one for weights, and like an idiot, I got rid of the old one before starting the car with the new one. It has a significant vibration that wasn’t there before. Spec says I’ll have to pull it apart; if the new one has a weight, take it off. If it doesn’t, you need to add one.

I’m not looking forward to pulling it apart again and then crossing my fingers that removing or adding a weight will fix it.

Can it be determined from the engine serial number if it’s internally or externally balanced?

2001 V6 5 Speed... I kinda take that to mean that it's completely stock. Is this correct?

Anywhoo... Take a look at the harmonic balancer:

1688088738957.png

The one on the left is externally balanced. Your 2001 should look like the one on the right (internal).

Last edited:
Not completely stock, but the mods shouldn’t have anything to do with this. It’s got a Borla ATAK dual exhaust. And I almost always hang on to the old parts until the job is finished. This time, I got interrupted for over a week after I had the old parts removed and they were in the way. It sounds like no matter what I’m going to have to pull it apart and inspect the flywheel. If it doesn’t have a weight, it needs one. If it does, it needs to come off. I wish the paperwork on the Spec flywheel would have said “CAUTION! Verify that flywheel balance weight arrangement matches the removed flywheel before installation!” Would have saved a ton of work.