Introduction & help with brakes

Jerardo Sr.

Mar 22, 2019
Longview, Tx
Hello everyone I'm jerardo Sr, I recently acquired a bone stock 97' mustang GT around March this year. It began to leak brake fluid & upon further investigation it leaking fluid on the passenger side catalytic converter. When I openend the hood I noticed on the passenger side firewall it was leaking brake fluid. How can I fix this problem? Thanks in advance for all of the advice & my apologies for such a long intro thread I just wanted to be thorough.
IMG_20190823_080607119.jpg

• Sponsors(?)

Jerardo Sr.

Mar 22, 2019
Longview, Tx
No sir, I'm new to ford mustangs. I always owned gm vehicles & this is my first ford. I spoke to a college classmate & he suggested that it might be the hydrovac that's leaking.

Jerardo Sr.

Mar 22, 2019
Longview, Tx
I just got under the car & the spot that's leaking smells like water. All the brake hoses are intact but I found the h pipe busted & leaking trans lines. It's unrelated but I felt like I needed to bring it up to further excel in solving this problem.
IMG_20190823_093011491.jpg
IMG_20190823_093030651.jpg

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
Box behind Walmart
www.stangnet.com
What are your brake fluid and transmission fluid levels currently?

That looks to me like a rear main seal leak or a leak from the back of the lower intake gasket.

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
polk county florida
That first pic is the drain for the ac evaporator, it is right above the exhaust pipe I think and that may be the reason for the broken pipe.

Jerardo Sr.

Mar 22, 2019
Longview, Tx
That last pic is under the dash, back of master cylinder at the rod, if that is brake fluid leaking, and it likely is, then you need to change the master cylinder.
Thats what I was thinking, I also had my father apply pressure to the brake pedal while I went under the car & found a leak near the passenger rear tire. I can get a picture if needed.

Noobz347

Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
Box behind Walmart
www.stangnet.com
Thats what I was thinking, I also had my father apply pressure to the brake pedal while I went under the car & found a leak near the passenger rear tire. I can get a picture if needed.
You should plan on replacing the Master Cylinder, and all 4 calipers and pads.

Did 97 have ABS? Not sure if you need a machine to bleed if so :shrug:

Jerardo Sr.

Mar 22, 2019
Longview, Tx
You should plan on replacing the Master Cylinder, and all 4 calipers and pads.

Did 97 have ABS? Not sure if you need a machine to bleed if so :shrug:
Darn it I recently replaced all the brake pads but if need be I will replace the braking equipment as suggested when my budget permits me to do so. Thanks for the speedy response & I'm not sure if my car has ABS brakes.

Noobz347

Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
Box behind Walmart
www.stangnet.com
Darn it I recently replaced all the brake pads but if need be I will replace the braking equipment as suggested when my budget permits me to do so. Thanks for the speedy response & I'm not sure if my car has ABS brakes.
It's probably not as expensive as you think for parts. Shop around.

The whole job can be done with a jack, some stands, and a good set of 1/2 in drive sockets and some other hand tools.

[Buy a bleeder screw wrench!!!!] The first time you round one of those buggers off, you'll wish you did.

a50ina50

May 31, 2016
Jerardo,
If that is water/coolant coming from the passenger side condensate drain tube then it is a good chance your heater core is bad/leaking. The water/coolant that's coming from the bad heater core has to go somewheres. That's how I found out my heater core was bad. I dont have air conditioning so it definitely wasnt was draining out in my situation.

Jerardo Sr.

Mar 22, 2019
Longview, Tx
Hey guys update!!! I finally got the brakes to stop leaking but the pedal is sinking. Now I am convinced that it is the master cylinder which is only 73.99$ at my local parts house.

Jerardo Sr.

Mar 22, 2019
Longview, Tx
Jerardo,
If that is water/coolant coming from the passenger side condensate drain tube then it is a good chance your heater core is bad/leaking. The water/coolant that's coming from the bad heater core has to go somewheres. That's how I found out my heater core was bad. I dont have air conditioning so it definitely wasnt was draining out in my situation.
It just started leaking like that recently. It leaks with the AC/heater in both the on & off position.