introduction

undercnstrction

Nov 10, 2009
i just wanted to intro myself and give a bit of info about my ride.....or should i say "project".

i have an '87 GT that is currently being taken apart. i anticipate the project taking about a year to complete. i'm going to try and do as much of the work myself as possible. so i'll be asking many, many questions as i go along through the tear down and rebuild. i'll try to keep the "stupid" questions to a minimum since i just found my shop manuals last night :D I WILL have plenty of questions about what combinations might work or won't work. my intentions for the car are to build a very reliable, very streetable, very clean daily driver. i want to rebuild the motor (unsure if i want to stay with the 302 or run a stroker yet) i do want to add some HP and improve the suspension but it won't be a dedicated race/strip car. at this point the only track time the car will see is some solo II stuff. it will need some interior work and i intend to paint the exterior. the car is actually in pretty good condition overall so at least i'm starting with a total basket case.

i'll see if i still have a couple of pics in my laptop to show what i'm starting from.

thanx in advance for any help/input.

OOPS! looks like i may have already screwed up. i just found the "talk" section, maybe that is where i should have posted this thread?????

Attachments

• stang on jackstand resize 2.jpg
    stang on jackstand resize 2.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 46
  • stang on jackstands resize 1.jpg
    stang on jackstands resize 1.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 52
  • Sponsors (?)

nothing concrete. i've been told on several occasions i should stroke it to at least a 306, but a 347 was suggested. my biggest concern there is i need the car to pass smog. also, being an '87 it's a speed density car so i would assume that i'd need to change all of that out. i have no idea what's involved with that. my initial plan was to (assuming the block is good) leave it as a 302, maybe run some of the standard bolt-ons and run it that way. i would then put some of the "extra" cash into the brakes and suspension. but nothing is written in stone yet. i'm COMPLETELY open to suggestions :nice: i don't want to sacrifice reliability for the extra power at this point.

The ONLY reason to go 306 is if your cylinder walls are trashed up, if not save the money and just have it honed and cleaned up. Bolt ons will get you pretty far with these cars. As for MAF conversion, it's not difficult and there's quite a few threads here on how to do it, just use the search function.
Having to stay smog legal kind of sucks but there's ways of making good power with it. If you're looking for ideas I'd dig through all the build threads on here, pretty good way to get ideas.

since i don't intend on building a high HP motor, will there be any benefit to converting to MAF? i'm not trying to this as a cheap build, but a quality build and since i don't really belive i want to change the cam, heads and crank(assuming what i have is still good) and i'm going to have to pass a "sniffer" to register the car is there a legit reason to switch? will a speed density car be compatible with the standard bolt ons? what kind of HP us generally the cut off for non MAF car?

and thanx for the link.

There's not really an HP limit as much as certain bolt ons just don't work well with SD. If your not planning on doing any H/C/I work then your fine to stick with what your already running.