Is a rear sway bar needed with my setup?

I'm getting Team Z upper and lowers installed with the anit-roll bar which will be disconnected for street driving. I got lower control arms without the sway bar brackets and I'm just wondering if I should order the ones with sway bar mounts so that I can run my with the stock sway bar?

I do like to drive / corner hard when driving on the street and I may someday auto-cross my car. (just need upgraded brakes next)

I have an '89 GT 5.0.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

Why would you disconnect the sway bar for street driving?

If it's a street car then you should have the sway bars connected. If you have swapped the front sway bar then you need to ensure that the rear sway bar is a match for the one that you've installed in the front.

You can get undesirable/unpredictable results when you start messing with the sway bar setup. Your rear sway bar should be designed or at least a decent match (1/4 to 1/3 (roughly)) larger than the front.

To ignore the relationship between the two will NOT improve your street performance. The only reason I can think of for you to disconnect the front sway bar for an advantage is because you're at the drag strip with a set of 90/10s in the front and want as much rise for the front end as you can get to ensure weight transfer to the rear.

Hit a hard corner with the front sway disconnected and it will understeer like a big dawg (you turn the wheel, the car goes straight) or you overpower/bottom up your strut and see the ass come up to meet the nose. Neither of those is something that I'd like to have. :O_o:

Reactions: 1 user