Is a wide band O2 worth it

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah I thought about that, their a place near me. I just do so damn much changing of stuff I couldnt find it to be worth the $ to pay for a dyno so often. I have a hard time with keeping the mods I have, seem to change around alot. Just looking for the best set up. Just bought a Vortec S tirm and its just sitting too. So I get a head acke from this car, thanks for beer. :D

I highly, and I mean HIGHLY suggest one. It makes tuning the car safe. It was the best non hp adding addition I have made. I have the AFM UEGO as well. Its actually $450, fwiw.

The wide band in and of itself will simply tell you what the ratio is - you'll need a chip or tweecer, something like that, to actually do anything about the ratio. Simply adding the wide band just provides you with info - it doesn't allow you to do anything about it.

Rick91 was telling me about the PMS from Anderson, a friend of mine has one too, but right now I cant shell out that much coin. I'd be interested in a chip or something of that nature. Theirs alot of companies out there that sell them. Whats a good one to go through and what will it do for me, meaning what exacllly will it aulter? W#hats the cost too. I see them for around a few hundred bucks.

i would rather have tuning ability than a one time chip. better bang for the buck if you ever want to change something (you said you do often).
you can sometimes get good deals on tuners used, as people give up after 5 minutes of trying one out.

just my two cents worth.

People with PMS and twEECer's seem to be happy with them, but be prepared to invest in a 1) a lap top, and 2) a lot of time learning about the EEC and how it works. You can screw up things pretty badly if you don't know what you're doing. Basically chips and self-tuners like the PMS or twEECers work the same way - the difference is that with a chip, someone else does the chip burning; with PMS or twEECer YOU become the chip burner.

I would not buy a mail order chip. You simply don't know what you're getting. I'd only use a chip if you have someone you can physically take the car to. That way you/the chip burner can drive the car to see how the changes work, and make adjustments. You can change the timing curvers, fuel curves, idle speed, you can input the transfer function of your maf for perfect maf/ecu interface (a BIG source of error on a lot of cars), you can alter cold start parameters, you can turn off emissions functions like thermactor and egr, it's almost limitless what can be altered. But as you might imagine - it takes lots of time and patience to know what to alter and how much to alter it.

Get a Innovative wideband meter, that's what I got, it works way better than any dyno tune ;)

Dyno tunes are a simulated tune & do not affectivly tune a car to actual driving conditions, I love my wideband meter, I just plug & tune , then drive around for a few days till it's perfect, disconnect & stick it back in the box it came in till next time you use it, or if you wanted you could hook up a gauge to it & leave it on 24/7, way better than any dyno tune, besides everytime you do something new to your motor you'll have to pay a dyno shop $200 an hour to do something you could do yourself & even better.

Hell last dyno tune I had the dyno shop blew my headgaskets making a full run before correctly adjusting my air/fuel ratios :mad: