Is getting a midpipe with cats worth it?

Blue70

Nov 1, 2004
Wilmington NC
I have flows on my 03 GT and was thinking of picking up a midpipe, but I am WAY to lazy to get under the car to swap it out twice a year, so I was wondering if a pipe with cats is worth putting on?

• Sponsors (?)

I think swapping out the mid-pipe to a catted aftermarket one is worth it, the sound is awesome. Though I did feel a difference on the top end, I did experience some low end torque loss after installing my MRT catted H-pipe, but it all came back and more after installing a PHP intake spacer.

Thumbs up for MRT's H-pipe, great fit and quality, sound is perfect, and I've yet to see a check engine light (knock on wood)!

:nice:

my personal opinion, changing out the midpipe is the best thing you can do for sound, and definitely a performance gain. I have the BBK O/R H, and LOVE it, perfect fit. I was debating if it was worth getting a aftermarket H-pipe, and it definitely is!

i really like my mustangtuning catted x. i get lots of compliments on it. sounds great with flows, not too loud but sounds sweet IMO. :nice: and its the cheapest catted mid-pipe out there.

twogts4us said:
Another thumbs up on the MRT H ! Quality piece! No noticable loss of torque though...? A catted mid in definately worth it...minimal loss to an O/R pipe, mostly just less volume.

So where can you pick up an MRT H pipe with cats? And I assume you do pass smog... right?

Another thumbs-up for the MRT catted H. Love the sound (no drone, no raspiness), fairly good install (a wee bit short on passenger side but no problem) and no CEL.

In fact, the car went in for an emissions test ("Drive Clean" in Ontario) before I stored it for the winter and passed with little fanfare:

40km/h:
HC: 48ppm (limit 60)
%CO: 0.00 (limit 0.34)
NO: 93 (limit 443)

idle:
HC: 43ppm (limit 150)
%CO: 0.02 (limit 0.70)
NO: n/a (limit n/a)

As well, mine gained 8.1rwHP with this mod.

Good mod.

GDawg said:
So where can you pick up an MRT H pipe with cats? And I assume you do pass smog... right?
Well they did sell them here, at PartShopper, but just after I bought mine about 1 month ago, they stopped carrying them...don't know why, I just don't see them on the website anymore.
You can still buy it directly from MRT - http://www.mustangracing.com/
No smog tests anymore here in FL, but it is supposed to be able to pass the test.

I have an SLP offroad X, the cats bolt in and out. Its much easier than switching out the whole pipe. There is a big diff between the highflows and the offroad. I barely even use my cats anymore.

RED92VERT said:
I have an SLP offroad X, the cats bolt in and out. Its much easier than switching out the whole pipe. There is a big diff between the highflows and the offroad. I barely even use my cats anymore.
Yeah, this was my other choice - if I had emissions testing, I would have gone with the SLP 'modular' X pipe. It also works with their long tubes. The last midpipe you'll ever buy! :nice: And it should sound great with Flows.

twogts4us said:
Yeah, this was my other choice - if I had emissions testing, I would have gone with the SLP 'modular' X pipe. It also works with their long tubes. The last midpipe you'll ever buy! :nice: And it should sound great with Flows.

The only downside to the SLP pipe is it hangs low. I scrape all the time since my mach is lowered.

crazynorwegian said:
you have to get your car smog tested twice a year?

No, no smog testing here untill 2006, and then it will only be OBDII cars. If I had the pipe with no cats I would be under it once to put the stock one back on, then a second time after testing to put the O/R pipe back on.