Drivetrain Is my clutch cable stretching?

keel

Aug 23, 2020
Seattle, Wa
I have a non-adjustable clutch cable and a firewall adjuster. For the past couple weeks, every time I drive the car and have to use the clutch a lot (like stop and go traffic), I find that it becomes difficult to put into gear because the clutch is not disengaging all the way, and I have to adjust the firewall adjuster out which fixes the issue until the next time it happens. It's hard to tell if the adjuster is just threading back in as I use the clutch and causing this, or if the cable itself is stretching, or if there is something else entirely causing the issue. I will say that the adjuster is almost fully out by now. Will a cable replacement likely fix this or is something else going on?

I also want to know if you guys have any opinions on using a lubricant inside the clutch cable sheath to extend its lifespan and make it easier to operate.

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like the sheath (outer covering) of the clutch cable might be failing. Look where the cable goes into the bellhousing and see if the sheath on it is starting to come apart or collapsing when the clutch is depressed.

Reactions: 1 user
Measure the threads on your firewall adjuster, then when it feels like it stretched , measure it again.

Reactions: 1 user
Pulled the old cable and it was shredding itself on the inside, a bunch of the material in the sheath was coming out of one end as almost a powder. Definitely time for a replacement.

Reactions: 1 users