Is the FMS gt-40 manifold worth the money, is it really that good?????

• Sponsors (?)

The GT-40/cobra is a good manifold, but it is old and outdated. There are much better intakes available, and for much cheaper. The GT-40 looks good, but for $599 there are much better choices. The Edelbrock Performer, Performer RPM and RPM II are great intakes and a bit cheaper. For $569 there is also the new BBK SSI intake complete with fuel rails. Looks like a pretty decent intake.

Don't forget the Trick Flow's - in fact Ebock's new Performer II (or whatever) is patterned pretty closely after the TF's.

The GT-40 was top dog in it's day, but has been surpassed by most of the aftermarket intakes. Depending on what you want - but even for mid range, the proper aftermarket intakes beat the GT-40's.

afr's and a custom cam, huh, that doesn't exactly sound like trying to use mostly ford parts, lol. What's left the TB and Intake?

For your setup there's better intakes for less. The gt40 is cool, but it's meant for milder street applications.

I'm a stickler for FORD parts...in my opinion the lower intake on both the GT-40 and the Cobra deserves the extra attention...I had mine ported right by the injector area to make the ports a little bigger to take a 1250 gasket...opening that area will improve airflow making the GT-40 style intakes comparable with many aftermarket intakes today...but is it worth the money? NO...not unless you absolutely want to run a FORD part...to me that was everything so I had to pay to get the performance I would from an aftermarket intake...porting isn't cheap and neither is the GT-40 intake...

if your trying to stick with all fms parts id go with the cobra intake, it looks sweet and does a good job on performance, you might really want to consider getting the most out of the h/c/i and go with something better like trickflow and those aftermarket companies, but the newer gt40 is all about looks imo, the explorer gt40 intake performs the same and you can get one for like more then half the price at a junk yard. Id go with a cobra intake though, you can get them new and work good.

You could get a used GT-40 intake pretty cheap if you look around. I still think there the best looking intake though. Then maybe port it.

If I where you I'd get a Performer RPM intake. I've heard the do nicely with AFR 165's.

For good heads, any GT40 style intake needs to have the lower ported. 300+RWHP is within reach with them ported if you choose a good combination of h/c/i. Porting isn't real expensive if you shop around.

I got my GT-40 off ebay for 450$ and I really like it. It is becoming outdated but it still flows awesome and IMO it is still the best looking intake out there. I dont think I would pull together the 600+ just to buy a brand new one but you can always find them on ebay.

I got mine with a set of 24lb inj, 75mm pro m mass air for $350 bucks. Oh, and the lower part of the intake was ported and I forgot to mention the 3/8" phenolic spacer that came with it too. So I would say try and find a used one 1st!

The GT40 is not worth the money. It is a good intake and looks awesome but you can buy a better intake for less or a much better intake for a little less. Back in the early 90's it was a must have. Now, its a great conversation piece.