Is the King Cobra Clutch worth the extra money?

Kdubslugga

Jun 7, 2003
Akron, OH
I know the King Cobra clutch says it requires 10% less pedal effort, but to me i dont care about that, is it tougher and more durable or is it basically the same as the less expensive Ford Racing kit?

• Sponsors (?)

I can't say since i haven't used the other Ford kits, but put it this way...i drive my car like i'm John Force every time i get behind the wheel...it's rare that i shift without chirping tires...lol....my clutch has held up great since January of '04.

I have the king cobra, havent used any other clutches, but its really not that expensive, id go ahead and upgrade and not have to worry about a clutch for a while. Mine grabs awesome, pedal effort isnt bad, if your leg is sore or something it can be a pain, but I dont worry about it. It grabs hard and has has held up great for like a year now. Ill be running my 12 second run soon and my clutch isnt even on my mind.

KC's weren't that much more expensive than a stock replacement last time I looked, but even if they are a bit pricey for you at the moment, they are worth it. I just barely got mine broken in, but it grabs hard and so far it's taken every beating I've given it with a smile. Good clutch.

I will add though, the pedal effort isn't terrible, but it definitely is noticeable at first. It's nowhere near as bad as the Ford Heavy Duty, but compared to something like a Ram clutch, it's pretty heavy.

Every King Cobra clutch car I have driven, including my 88 GT was a very soft clutch.

It's the same disc as the Motorsports HD but the pressure plate has been modified to give it a softer feel. I have seen hp ratings for the two and the HD is always SLIGHTLY rated higher but not enough to matter. The HD is alot harder to press, I wouldnt waste the time with it.

My King Cobra clutch is holding up fine, and I daily drive my stang in a very spirited manner.

Pedal effort is much stiffer than stock, and always seems "hard" for my hydraulic clutch buddies... Doesn't phase me at all though. "Don't be a girly man" :D

Go with the KC, it grabs very well for what it's worth. :nice:

the ford racing heavy duty and the king cobra have the exact same performance/holding power.

pedal difference is night and day. If you've got a big leg, and don't mind a very stiff clutch, go with the heavy duty clutch. I've been through two of them over the years, and were fine with them.

i put in a new KC last december and pulled the engine and tranny out in july, the clutch had alot of runs at the track and spirited driving and it looks damn near new after 6 or so months.

its cheap!
160$ at buyfordracing.com

ive got a KC clutch, pedal effort is alright not real hard. clamping force is great. ive ran my car probably 20 times at the track and competed in a burnout contest (won 3rd place) not to mention the abuse i put it threw on the street and ive had very minimal slippage. the only time it slipped was at the track the last time i went. i had MT ET streets and dropped the clutch at 5K RPM and had a 100 shot. but the only reason i think it was slipping is because i had ZERO freeplay on the clutch fork and it was slightly depressed all the time, even then it was very minimal slippage. ive since fixed it and have had no problems.

no problems with mine. The previous owner put it in. What did happen though is that the OEM clutch cable started to bind in the housing and it wound up cracking the firewall in two places. The consensus was "Oh its just the King Cobra clutch....hard to push". Just my little rant..