Is There A Way To Tell If The Fuel Pump Has Been Replaced?

DSB88GT

Nov 6, 2016
I have an 88 GT with zero documentation and was wondering, without dropping the tank, if there are any clues / hints to whether or not the fuel pump has been replaced?

I do know the pump primes and sounds exactly like the one did on my 87 GT that I had back in high school.

• Sponsors (?)

No way to tell, without dropping the tank, and even if you do I doubt it'll look old due to it being submerged in fuel all the time. You might be able to tell by brand or part numbers that may be stamped on it. Dropping the tank isn't a huge deal. Do the bolts on the fuel tank straps and fuel filler neck look like they have had a wrench on them?

Last edited:
Without dropping it? No. However you can usually tell at that point as the pump wiring will be crimped unless an entire hanger was swapped in.

Reactions: 1 user
No way to tell, without dropping the tank, and even if you do I doubt it'll look old due to it being submerged in fuel all the time. You might be able to tell by brand or part numbers that may be stamped on it. Dropping the tank isn't a huge deal. Do the bolts on the fuel tank straps and fuel filler neck look like they have had a wrench on them?

Possibly the fuel filler neck bolts may have had a wrench on them. The tank and straps appear either new or refurbished in some way because they are fairly clean / black.