Is there any interest in an IRS for the S-197's?

Is there any interest in an IRS for the S-197's?

• Total voters

THX 138

Oct 7, 2004
Los Angeles
Is there any interest in an IRS for the S-197's? I have a 2004 Saleen and a 67 notchback so I'm usualy not on this side of the boards. I want to try to see if I can pitch the idea to my work if there is enough interest. It would use alot of 2003 cobra parts you could get at the auto part store for wearable items like the axle shafts and wheel hubs. The center section has always been a problem for the 2003-4 cobra so maybe people would probably want a sheetmetal ford 9" center section. Any other suggestions are welcomed.
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I think you'd have to define the market that this would sell to as being technically aware and financially well enough off to consider it. Accept that you wouldn't sell very many kits to the drag racers or autocrossers (autocrossers due to the classing limitations regarding such a modification, and the S197 already sits at the top of two classes as it is).

You'd also have to fix whatever geometry and bushing compliance compromises that were made 10 years ago, without creating new ones. As I understand it, the new IRS Camaro uses a solid half shaft on one side and a larger tubular one on the other just to help keep certain vibration modeshapes from ganging up and generating wheel hop. I doubt that problem is specific to the Camaro/GTO/G8/Holden chassis. You might even find that you need to stiffen the motor mounts.

Norm

Reactions: 1 user
I think you'd have to define the market that this would sell to as being technically aware and financially well enough off to consider it. Accept that you wouldn't sell very many kits to the drag racers or autocrossers (autocrossers due to the classing limitations regarding such a modification, and the S197 already sits at the top of two classes as it is).

You'd also have to fix whatever geometry and bushing compliance compromises that were made 10 years ago, without creating new ones. As I understand it, the new IRS Camaro uses a solid half shaft on one side and a larger tubular one on the other just to help keep certain vibration modeshapes from ganging up and generating wheel hop. I doubt that problem is specific to the Camaro/GTO/G8/Holden chassis. You might even find that you need to stiffen the motor mounts.

Norm
Thanks for the input. I almost bought a GTO before I found my Saleen. If I remember the IRS on those was a severly compromised design, almost not even an IRS but a dual swingarm. I'll have to go back to the specifics of it to remind myself.

There would probably be plenty of interest, but I bet to do it right the cost would be prohibitive and and it would likely add weight to a car that many already consider overweight. Also keep in mind that even with it's solid rear, our cars already handle and ride as good or better then it's IRS equipped Mopar and GM cousins, so even if you did do it right and for a reasonable price would the gains really be be worth it?

There would probably be plenty of interest, but I bet to do it right the cost would be prohibitive and and it would likely add weight to a car that many already consider overweight. Also keep in mind that even with it's solid rear, our cars already handle and ride as good or better then it's IRS equipped Mopar and GM cousins, so even if you did do it right and for a reasonable price would the gains really be be worth it?
Yeah, you'd have to seriously question the gains vs. cost and with all the positive feedback on the current rear, it doesn't seem likely that there would be that much benefit. Now it's up to you to prove us wrong.