Is this an alternator bracket and where does it go?

gregski

Mar 13, 2010
Sacramento, California
So I got just the engine (no car) 302 from 1975 I recon with an automatic transmission. With it came this loose bracket part number D5ZE-10A336-AC if I Google the number it says it's an alternator bracket but I got no alternator for it yet and I am just wondering where it goes. I think it's on the passenger side somewhere but I don't know where.

Could someone post a picture or a diagram of how and where it goes please?

92584d1268108502-alternator-bracket-where-does-go-bracket-1.jpg

92585d1268108502-alternator-bracket-where-does-go-bracket-2.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

number D5ZE-10A336-AC if I Google the number it says it's an alternator bracket

From HERE?

Brief tutorial on Ford Part Numbers:

D5ZE ...

D= Decade, C= 60's, D= 70's, E= 80's, and so on

5= year in decade, C5 would be '65, D5 = 75 , E5= 85, and so on.

Z = Model Line. Z is for Mustang. T= Truck, W is Cougar, sometimes those change, far as I know Z has always meant Mustang.

E = Sub Group. E= Engine.

THen you have the base code which identifies the part. in your case 10A336 is an alternator bracket. As you saw in the above link the gase was also used in C9 for an alt bracket.

Then there is the suffix/ revision. here it's AC. I've never figured out how that worked. If it's hex based it's the 19th version, read another way it would be the 49th revision, if not hex it could be the 3rd revision of the first revision ... WTF?

Anyhow, to answer your question, I've seen those, IIRC it bolts to the bosses on the front of hte head, Damned if I remember which side or the orientation, more than likely the pedestals of varying height are the head side.

It's been quite a while since I've seen D5Z brackets installed. Or even a D5Z bracket.

Incidentally, when you see D5ZE parts it's safe to bet their from the 302. Engine parts specific to the II from the other two engines usually wear a D4.

First Attempt

I am embarrassed to admit what a circus mounting the alternator to this motor it has turned out to be, I feel like I'm constantly trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. No wonder the motor came with no alternator and a single orphaned bracket.

So here's how the First Attempt went down. After parusing eBay (first picture) I discovered that for some post 70s Mustangs it takes three to Tango, three brackets that is. I already had one of them so I set out to get the other two. A "true" 36 year old Cougar [wink wink] with a 351 gave up what I needed.

So I was armed with:

Rear Bracket: D5ZE-10A336-AC

Upper Bracket: D00E-10156-A

Lower Bracket: D3AE-101 5-CA

Giving me plenty of rythm and floor space, but they just wouldn't dance together, the long pivot bolt holes did not align, and even if they did the heater hoses would interfere with the alternator body.

... back to the drawing board...

eBayBrackets.jpg

AltBrackets1.jpg

Second Attempt

Though the second attempt failed, here it is documented for prosperity. Basically I went out and bought a Scott Drake alternator bracket set for the first generation Mustangs for $20 bucks. These are the dime a dozen brackets you see in any catalog, usually in black or chrome. In this attempt only the two brackets you see were used, the third rusty triangular one sat this one out.

PROBLEM:

Well the long alternator pivot bolt did align with the outside hole on the cylinder head but the top bracket was preventing me from mounting the water pump pulley. It wouldn't just rub, the pulley would not go on all the way at all.

You can see the difference in the brackets below:

AltBrackets2A.jpg

AltBrackets2B.jpg

AltBrackets2C.jpg

Third Attempt

What, third attempt who does this guy think he is Thomas Edison? Doesn't he read prior posts, others have shown him how to mount this darn thing.

OK, this third attempt was successful. Yes others have shown me how to do it, but my actions and some of these posts are not in chronological order. I choose to document this so that others don't repeat the same mistakes I do, or they can, lol?

The problem was that my triangular rusty bracket/spacer which I started this post with is a bit different than what I needed in order to mate with the brackets I pulled off of that 76 Cougar 351 (see First Attempt above).

So I went out and found the correct rear triangular bracket/spacer its the silver one in the pictures, at a swamp meet half a mile away from my house for $5.00 bucks. Needless to say I was tickled pink when I brought it home and all the holes aligned, the Mustang Gods were smiling that day, that's for sure.

So the correct combination is:

Rear Bracket: D10E-10A336-AA
Upper Bracket: D00E-10156-A
Lower Bracket: D3AE-101 5-CA

That is a 1970-73 type setup, maybe not concourse correct, lol, but it will work, I am being told that my orignial bracket can work if I find the matching other two... stay tunned for Fourth Attempt (oh God!)

AltBrackets3A.jpg

AltBrackets3B.jpg

AltBrackets3C.jpg

AltBrackets3D.jpg