IS this normal??!!!! Thermostat/waterneck!??!

attachment.php

attachment.php

My waterneck and thermostat. This normal/ok? or should I be woried?

Attachments

• waterneck.JPG
    waterneck.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 263
  • thermostat.JPG
    thermostat.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 252
  • Sponsors (?)

It's normal for a severely negelected cooling system, IMO. How long have you had the car, when was the last time you flushed and changed the coolant, and what kind of coolant mix are you using? Try looking into your radiator and see what the tubes look like. I wouldn't be too worried for now. Just do a good flush, change your fluid, check your hoses, and go from there. In the long term, you may want to back flush the system, change your hoses, radiator, etc just to avoid cooling problems in the future. Of course if you have cooling problems, now would be a good time to do everything.

I agree with blk92 on the normality of it with a neglected cooling system. I see the cure a bit differently - I'm doubtful that the off the shelf flushing/cleaning products are gonna do much to alleviate that level of mineral deposits. If your t'stat housing and t'stat look like that, I shudder to think what the radiator tubes (much smaller diameter) look like. In addition to flushing (do ALL your flushing BEFORE you put any new components in), I do believe I'd pull the radiator and have a shop check it out. If it hasn't given up the ghost, I think it's only a matter of time before it does given that kind of buildup. And then, there's the heater core....

ive had the car for like 3 months. The engine only has like 2500 miles on it. and Ive got all the coolant drained right now. It looks nasty as hell, probably the reason my car has been running hot! And Im installing all new stuff so I guess I'm taking care of the problem then.

Yeah, it looks like either you or the person before you that had the car was/is a major choad. Looks like the coolant hasn't been changed in quite a long time. The aluminum water neck or thermostat housing will do that after sitting in ****tty coolant for a while. Replace the t-stat housing with a cast iron piece. You can get them at Discount or Autozone or any parts store. Get some Zetex Super Flush. That stuff works really good. What I'd do is replace your radiator and all hoses. Also I would recommend a new water pump because it is aluminium and it probably looks exactly like that thermostat housing. Stick a hose in the water neck opening on the intake and flush it through the block for about 10 minutes. Keep up on your coolant system flushes and this won't happen.

Nick

Did it have the orange DexCool antifreeze in it by any chance? It's been known to cause this kind of problem, particularly when contaminated with other traditional antifreezes. If that's what it had in it, be sure you flush and reflush several times (with the heater on) to get all the old coolant out before you put the new stuff/parts in. Also, if you can use distilled water, you cut down significantly on mineral deposits. One of the things I've consistently done (30 years) on my new cars is the drain the systems, and refill with distilled water/antifreeze just to be on the safe side. Never had any buildup/deposits over the years. Of course, letting one sit for 3 years doesn't do it any good either.

the cheap yellow E/G stuff - just reg Prestone, etc from wally mart.
as Michael said, mixing yellow stuff and Dex cool type coolant is highly corrosive. really flush it. get a new cap too - the tell tale brown sludge may be around your cap.

as said, distilled water helps with deposits (hard water is bad. and does your cooling system smile? if not, it does not need fluoride, etc, that tap water often has). :)
dont forget to wash the reservoir.

hopefully all of this will take care of the other issues on your other threads. :)

Yellow? I'd just use Prestone or WallyWorld's version of the green stuff. There are multiple lawsuits out there about GM/Dexcool - do a google search under Dexcool - you won't believe it. ANd many of their components look like yours. Never mix it - and never use it. You're right, it wouldn't happen that quick - but I'd guess this had Dexcool mixed with regular antifreeze years ago.

I'll meet you halfway - it's definitely a green that leans toward yellow, rather than blue. Jeez - what a post. My wife's an artist - I know colors like magenta, ecru, cyan, taupe, chartreuse.....she'd be ashamed I couldn't come up with anything more original than green, yellow, orange.

Michael Yount said:
I'll meet you halfway - it's definitely a green that leans toward yellow, rather than blue. Jeez - what a post. My wife's an artist - I know colors like magenta, ecru, cyan, taupe, chartreuse.....she'd be ashamed I couldn't come up with anything more original than green, yellow, orange.
no, i just cant see colors. you are right, but to me it looks like lemon-lime gatorade, which i think may be yellow. :)

i've heard of magenta, cyan and taupe. :D
your wife should not mind green, yellow or orange; imagine how she would feel if you came up with different shades of grey. :D

thanks for setting me straight on the color. :nice:

cardudeusa said:
With all this controversy about the yellow and green antifreeze. There is a new antifreeze out that is YELLOW, its a universal mix with any color/ type antifreeze. Anyone seen the pink fluid that the newer hondas get?
not so much controversy - just my ineptitude.

you are right - most of the Japanese manufacturers use a special yellow, orange, red, etc coolant. and many are not compatible with other antifreezes. someone really needs to regulate this stuff. :)