Is this the beginning of the end of my engine

Advinnie

Dec 2, 2019
Oxfordshire
Hi everyone. I'm new here and new to the mustang world.
I have a 2001 ford mustang GT with a bad engine sound.
Was wondering if anyone could help me out on what it could be.
The rattling sound from the engine comes on when at a light throttle/ cruising condition between 2000 and 2,500 rpm. If I just push tbe accelerater just a little the nosie goes away.
There is no sign of lose of power, burning oil or water.
I will try and post some links in a minute to the engine noise

• Sponsors (?)

Hi benny.
I spent most of the night trying to figure out what and where the nosie is coming from and it sounds to be coming from the rear of the engine.
It's definitely not a loose spark plug, loose or cracked exhaust manifold, loose heat shields and I cant see any part of the engine or exhaust system vibrating on anything. Is there a way to check the timing chain or does the front cover have to be pulled to do that?

I think pulling the cover is the only way to see for sure, but ford used like a plastic/nylon type guide and after so long they get brittle and break causing slack. To be sure that's where the noise is coming from I would let the car run and if you have a really long screw driver you can use as a stethoscope of sorts, place the tip on different points on the cover and put your ear to the handle. If the noise you hear isnt what you hear through the screw driver then it maybe somewhere else. I wish I could be more helpful. Diag by video is kinda hard

Get yourself an oil filter cutter. Cut the oil filter open and perform a through inspection of the filter element looking for debris.

I do this at every filter change and so far it has "saved" two motors for me. Both were timing chain related.

At the very least, this will give you information. It's important to know IF the motor is making metal. Sometimes it can help to know what kind of metal. For example when a timing chain begins to rattle it will frequently contact the timing chain front cover. This will leave aluminum shavings in the oil filter.

Here's an example of the unit I use. It does the job quick and easy. Most important safely. No cut hands!

Longacre Oil Filter Cutters 52-77750

Last edited:
Right in the next few days I will be draining the oil and cutting the filter open but are all oil filters the same or is there a good one to go for?
Also and with out this turning into a "what oil is best" argument what engine oil should I use in my ROMEO engine. All the oil filler cap says on it its oil
I have googled this but its a mine field, people are saying used 0w20, 5w20, 5w30, 10w20 and 10w30.
I live in the countryside in the UK where I see - 5 degrees C ish in winter and +30 in the summer
Cheers

This is a 2001 model year right? Is the noise localized to around the #8 exhaust valve? Is the noise louder through the left hand fender well?

If so, there's a Ford TSB on this. It has to do with loose value guides causes by not enough coolant flow around the back of the cylinder head. I have a Town Car with the same problem. You can hear the valves making noise all the way across the parking lot. It started 1,000's of miles ago. I plan to run it unit either the motor quits or the car surrounding the motor goes to the junk yard.

IF this is your problem, it is more of an annoyance that a real problem. Especially considering that the "fix" are the re-designed cylinder heads that come on the 2003+ model years.

But it's still important to rule out the other possible causes before ignoring any motor noises.

Yes it is around number 8 cylinder, also if I cut the spark or pull the fuel injector connector off cylinder 8 I don't seem to be able to get the engine to make the rattling noise BUT saying that when I did reconnect the spark plug and injector I still could get the noise to come back for some reason but its back today

Do you have a video or sound clip of the nosie your ride makes?
If so is there any chance you could email it to me or post it on here so I can compere it to my sound please