Is this unusual?

Ah geez, brake line to the passenger rear wheel needs replacement. Thinking I gotta buy the flared-end tool and learn how to use it because a repair shop is probably gonna stick it to me!

How about a whole set of lines? Granted, it's more than you need, but you'll have it on hand if any others ever need replacing in the future.

Fyi. Didn't see the non-stainless steel set. Don't know if they have them for that application, but if they do, they'd be more affordable.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Attempted to plug the proportioning valve with a bolt so that I can at least retain brake fluid and be able to brake. 7/16 is too small, 1/2 should be the right size but it won't go in. Using fine threaded bolt (1/2 - 20). Wtaf.

Like I said, I need to be able to brake. The line that runs to the back is shot so I'm trying to not use it, and only have front brakes. Until I can bring the car to the shop and have the line replaced, of course. So I'm trying to plug the rear port underneath the valve. There must be a bolt at Ace Hardware that fits, in fact it's supposed to be a 1/2 - 20, according to info online. But it doesn't, only half of the beginning threads catch and it wants to be crooked. Since I don't want to ruin the port threads and end up needing a new valve too, I need a bolt that actually fits perfectly. 1,000 psi, after all.
I'm just pissed that no bolt will fit it because no one online says that it's some special threading or that it's metric. They do say however that a 1/2 - 20 is what's supposed to fit, and it almost does but not quite.

So you talking about plugging off the brake line that runs to the rear of the car. The location that you want to do this at is at the proportioning valve? It’s the piece below the master cylinder that all the brake lines go to in this picture:

1697278905000.jpeg

Which port are you trying to plug? My guess is #4 in this diagram:

1697279088052.jpeg

You may be able to take a brake line, cut it a couple inches from the fitting, flatten and fold the line a couple times, that could make it driveable I guess although I wouldn't drive it with only half the brakes :shrug:

Reactions: 1 user
That is a flared tap so a bolt will never work. So the Fox cars do not have any metric fittings on the brake system. The proportioning valve has 7/16"-24 and 3/8"-24 but I cannot tell you which one you will need. You can literally buy a 12” long brake line with those size fittings on each one. Cut the one in half that fits it and then hammer the line flat on the open end. Fold the flattened part in half and hammer it flat again. This should seal it so it will not leak. Install in the bottom port and it should be good to go. This is not a permanent fix but I have used ot to get out of a jam a couple times in my life.

Reactions: 1 users