Issues with starter. What's good

MYSC351

Apr 9, 2008
1989 Mustang foxbody
Procharged-intercooled 351W running 15 LB boost with a F.A.S.T. fuel management system and MSD ignition.\

Problem I am having is when the engine gets warm I have a really slow and sometimes no crank...Just a battery that drops to 6 volts while cranking..
New battery installed since it started smoking due to the excessive load on the battery..

Now there is one of two issues...
1.)starter that is to close to the headers and went bad in a relatively short period of time due to excessive heat to the magnets/coils..
or
2.)The pcm is advancing the spark timing during cranking since the engine is warmer causing the starter to supply power that it doesn't have..
Either way the problem will need to be solved by replacing the starter with a new one...
My question is this..If the problem is #1 which is most likely the case what starters are any good and won't go bad after just a few heat soaks from the manifolds that are only inches off the starter?? I was looking at this one which is really cheap.
The google searches I've been doing all say that if you're going to get a powermaster get the xs models... The summit brand is the cheapest one...Any reviews on that one?

Summit SUM-820055 - Summit® Protorque Starters

I was also looking at this one for a few more dollars..
Powermaster 3132 - Powermaster OEM-Style High-Torque Replacement Starters

and the other powermaster..The xs one that is $100 more than the other powermaster that I've heard good things about.

Powermaster 9503 - Powermaster XS Torque Starters

• Sponsors (?)