It never ends...Rear Axle leaking

smokediver27

Jun 16, 2003
Florida
First the story...
Had my gears done about a month ago in my car, while they were being done the mechanic pointed out to me how whoever owned the car before me had broken to of the bolts that hold the cover in place, and glued them back on. The mechanic said he'd do a good job with the sealer and it shouldnt be a problem.

Well, my rear end is now leaking around one of the broken bolts. I'm really not sure what to do.?? I'm assuming the best bet would be to drain the rear end, drill and tap the bolt holes, and buy new bolts. Unfortunately, I've never drilled and tapped anything before, and I'm not sure where to find the bolts. Also, the synthetic rear end fluid and friction modifier are pretty expensive if i remember right.

Anyone have any suggestions, I'm probably just going to find a local shop and see if theyre willing to do it for me.

• Sponsors (?)

There is a first time for everything. Now is a good time to learn to drill out bolts and retap the holes. You should be able to get them out without having to go to a larger bolt size. And if you do no big deal. At least they are easy to get to. Try doing a header bolt with the engine still in the car!!! Also, just drain the oil/modifier fluid into a clean container and put it back in. Good luck.