It runs, but battery drains?

87LX2.3

Apr 23, 2009
Central Iowa
Hey,

I got my Mustang running, but now I've discovered I have a battery drain.
I have replaced the battery, ignition switch, TFI module, starter solenoid, and both + and - battery cables. I've tested the alternator and it is putting out 14.6 volts, which is more than enough. I have removed all of the "non-vital" fuses, but the battery is still draining. I have checked the ground cable at both ends. It can't be draining from there. I don't have any amps/subwoofers, and I don't have lighted sunvisors. I've eliminated all possibilities that I can think of besides removing the fuses for the hazzards, headlights, taillights, ect. I don't really want to do that because then it would be illegal as hell. I am open to any and all suggestions, if I haven't already taken all your ideas away. LOL. Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

If you have a volt meter and know how to use it. Set it to DC amps, take the positive battery cable off and put the red lead on the battery terminal and the black lead on the battery cable. This will tell you how many amps is draining. The meter is usually good for around 10 amps, if it is the kind you get from Radio Shack. If the draw is 5-10 amp range and the car has air conditioning try disconnecting the clutch wire on the a/c compressor. I had this happen once and it drained really quickly.