It's Always Something!

Virtual

15 Year Member
Dec 19, 2013
Northern Virginia
Why is it that every time you thing you've got things just about where you want them to be mechanically (and you can focus on cosmetic stuff), something else comes up?

Brought the stang in to get the wheels rebalanced today. They were balanced about a month ago, but still had a front end wobble right around 60 mph with all of the classic characteristics of out of balance tires, and I HATE wheel wobble. They tried to blame it on the tires being out of round, but agreed to rebalance them anyway. Anyway, while I'm in there having them show me why they think the tires are out of round, all of a sudden the stang starts dripping anti-freeze on the floor. Looked like from right under the radiator. Not a huge amount, but a steady stream that lasted for about 1 minute and then just stopped again. It was really odd, it had been sitting there for about 10 minutes before that with nothing dripping, then this 1 minute drip session, and then nothing!

All the tire folks did was put a pan under it (I think they were annoyed at me for bringing my car back), and because it was only low up on a lift, I couldn't check under it, or pop the hood to look at what was leaking there and then. After getting done with the tire dudes I got home and checked for additional signs of anti-freeze under the car, saw none. Popped the hood, carefully inspected the radiator and jiggled the hoses and still didn't see any sign of any problem. My coolent was a little low (remember that dribble I mentioned), so I topped it up, and then went for another ride to make sure everything was all warm and circulating, and then checked it all again when I returned. Still no signs of anything leaking. I then left it about 15 min to see if there was delayed reaction thing going on, but there was still no sign of any further leak happening. I then checked it again (hours later) and it's still fine.

So I'm kinda stumped at the moment? I'm sure this is going to come back and hit me again. Probably at the most inconvenient moment, but at this point I've checked all of the obvious things I could think of, and I think I'm gonna need to see what's leaking to figure it out. Sigh..

I guess on the good side.. Despite their protestations about being out of round, the rebalancing of the tires made a huge difference and she cruises all smooth again.

• Sponsors (?)

I was finally able to talk a local shop into letting me use their pressure testing equipment. Turned out to be a imperceptible small crack in a hose right behind the clamp that connects it to the radiator. The symptoms were odd though, in that it didn't leak on an ongoing basis, it only leaked for only about a minute, and that would occur typically about some 10 min or so after the engine was shut off. Makes me wonder about the pressure profile that occurs as the car drives and after it shuts off.

Bottom line though, thanks to 88 LX 5.0 above for the suggestion, and it turned out to be one of those $5 repair jobs.

Reactions: 1 user