JLT CAI rubbing on oil fill cap... resulting in oil leak?

Stingfish

Feb 19, 2006
Norcal, CA
Like the title says, my JLT CAI has been rubbing against the oil fill cap on my 02 gt. It seems to have loosened the actual fill neck on the valve cover, as the area around the oil fill cap and directly above on the underside of the hood has a mist of oil all over it.

Anyone with the JLT have this happen before? I'm probably going to get a new intake that's not so.. huge... Think I would have to replace the whole valve cover or could i use something to seal the base of the oil fill neck against the valve cover to stop the leaking?

• Sponsors (?)

Like the title says, my JLT CAI has been rubbing against the oil fill cap on my 02 gt. It seems to have loosened the actual fill neck on the valve cover, as the area around the oil fill cap and directly above on the underside of the hood has a mist of oil all over it.

Anyone with the JLT have this happen before? I'm probably going to get a new intake that's not so.. huge... Think I would have to replace the whole valve cover or could i use something to seal the base of the oil fill neck against the valve cover to stop the leaking?

JLT Install Page

Please look at the 99-04 CAI install sheet. The first big black dot on the page gives a warning. I'm not trying to be an a$$, but this is something I have seen a few times and that warning has been on the instructions.

Yep happened to me. Mine hit both the fire wall AND the oil filler cap. Ford had 3 different motor mounts and its the variation that does it. I just used forma gasket after I took it off and that fixed my issue. I used it while the JLT was on and it just broke the seal again.

lol wow..I have a 02 GT and had the SAME EXACT problem you are experiencing with your JLT intake...I recently switched it out with a K&N intake system....the tube is smaller..and does not rub against anything..I still have to buy the Silicone RTV gasket maker so I can reseal the oil fill though...I been delaying on resealing it cause its not leaking oil....yet...

if you want..I can get you the same exact intake I have now..its the K&N Gen II FIPK intake... I can sell you one for $160 shipped. Its brand new and Never been opened/used. Here is a link of the exact kit i am selling. I am running this intake and like it just as much as the JLT...only..it doesnt bang up against anything..lol

http://www.brothersperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/1_9_82/products_id/1508

haha, i actually originally had the K&N FIPK2 in the car before my JLT. I switched to the JLT because of the Steeda cowl hood i put on, the heat shield on the K&N intake couldnt seal against the new hood.

I'll have to try using the gasket sealer on the oil fill neck. Just wondering though, hotmustang331, what did you use to clean oil off the area on the outside of the valve cover prior to putting the gasket sealer on?

dont feel too bad, they used 4 diffrent mounts in 04.... mine his the strut tower, oil filler cap AND valve cover, oh and touches the fuel dampner thingy on the fuel lines...

Oh Foh FTW!

oh and i bought mine before they knew that there were a bunch of diffrent mounts.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I think people should be aware of this issue with the JLT intakes. Might help make up people's mind about what cai to go with.

I just discovered that my oil filler neck is starting to leak a little oil because it is hitting the intake tube. And the intake tube is hitting the the shock tower. I really like the looks of the JLT, but I'm probably going to end up ditching it now for the K&N cai.

Are you sure it's not a clogged PCV valve? Its near the intake and it will cause an oil leak.

Also the tubing on JLT intakes is so big that I've heard of people that lose mph in the quarter mile on mostly stock engines. Loss of air velocity is the problem.

On an aftermarket Throttle Body , Plenum, and Intake manifold the engine will suck down every bit of air that goes through that. This is the only air intake that I've actually NOTICED the gains on. My old MAC intake was pitiful and had major heat soak. My intake air temp gauge recorded significant drops in air temp at idle and while driving.

YES, this is a bump of an old as hell thread.

I also have the leaking oil fill tube because of the JLT intake.

My question is.

Is there any way to pull the filler tube off in order to clean it and reaseal it with new silicone?